Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New E3 with Short Valves

New E3 with Short Valves

A couple years ago, I bought an E3 with SS bell and trigger. It's a great horn! After spending time on Sterling, Miraphone, Willson, and Besson, I felt I had found the horn I wanted, both in terms of sound concept and in terms of playability, intonation, etc.

Prior to buying my miraphone (which I subsequently ended up selling), I'd trialed a prototype E3 with short throw valves that eventually ended up in the hands of daruby.

After living with my E3 for a while, I'm still super happy with it; I find that it fits well in the brass band playing I do (which is my primary playing), as well as the small bit of wind band playing I do.

Long story short, I've got some weird neuro issues in my right hand/arm that have made it difficult at times to play for long periods. As such, I reached out to Miel Adams and Trent Austin about the possibility of building me a copy of my E3 with the short valve set. After a conversation with Miel on the phone, I decided to go ahead and do it. 6 months later, and I've got the horn and have had a chance to play it against my existing E3. There are a few small differences, such as with the AGR in the same position, there's a bit more resistance on the short throw valves, but not enough to really matter in the grand scheme of things.

I'll post some side by side photos a little later, but suffice it to say I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I'm going to keep the existing E3 around for a little while to make sure after a break in period I'm still happy with it, but I will likely sell it in the coming future.

Hilariously, the most common question I get asked is whether I think the short throw valves will make it easy to play faster; in this case, what they're accomplishing is allowing me to continue playing at all, so I'm delighted!

Mike Taylor
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

I love it when a plan comes together -- John "Hannibal" Smith, The A Team
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Very interesting. Are you connecting the AGR in the same position being somehow related to more resistance on the short throw valves. The way you wrote that left me wondering. And if you were highlighting the differences, you say with the AGR in the same position, what is the difference there? Just not sure I am getting what you are trying to say. If those are two things, then I guess I would not find it too surprising that there might be a bit more resistance with the short throw valves which would necessitate a little constriction in the tubing around the valves, yes? Daruby - did you find this the case with your Adams short throw? Were you able to test the short throw vs. the regular valves?
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

4. Mike, Congratulations. Let me know how the horn plays wrt to pitch. I am happy with my E3, but find the 6th partial being in tune causes problems trying to play in pitch with seatmates who play sharp.

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 08-18-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    the 6th partial being in tune causes problems trying to play in pitch with seatmates who play sharp.
    haha! first world problems...
    --
    Barry

Mike, Congratulations. Let me know how the horn plays wrt to pitch. I am happy with my E3, but find the 6th partial being in tune causes problems trying to play in pitch with seatmates who play sharp.

Doug
    LOL!

You have a great opportunity. Having two of the fundamentally exact horns, other than the valves, do you see any differences in how they play? Tone quality, intonation or otherwise?

Mike, Congratulations. Let me know how the horn plays wrt to pitch. I am happy with my E3, but find the 6th partial being in tune causes problems trying to play in pitch with seatmates who play sharp.

Doug
    This may be a problem with my intention to buy an Adams E3 now, when it comes to the 6° partial, I can tune it right with the help of the trigger, or play it sharp when I'm in unison with my seatmates. How can this be done?
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Am I correct in thinking that making the valves shorter requires making them with oval holes (with oval tubing leading to and from)?

Quote Originally Posted by enhite View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that making the valves shorter requires making them with oval holes (with oval tubing leading to and from)?
    That is correct.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast