X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nastynoff
    • Nov 2008

51D but bigger?

Lately I've been playing a Schilke 51D on my Besson Prestige. And I really like the sound it helps me make. But I got to work quite hard for it, mostly because the rim size is just too small for me. The mouthpiece I use for my tenor trombone is a Laskey 59D, which is roughly a 4 size. For the record, the Laskey does not work for me on euph.

My question is this: Does Schilke, or any other maker, make something that has much of the sound and blow of the 51D but in a bigger size? How about the Schilke Symphony-series or the 52D? Or maybe what makes me like the sound is down to it being small... Any thoughts you might have will be appreciated
  • Snorlax
    • Mar 2007

I believe the 52E2 might fit your bill...it's been aeons since I used one, though...shortly after the Crimean War, IIRC.
    Seriously, I think the 52E2 will fit your needs. It is indeed a bit larger than the 51D. You might want to check the info
    here on the forum. Again IIRC, the 51D is 25.5mm across (Bach 5-sized) whereas the 52E2 is a full 26mm (Bach 4-sized)
    Jim
    Last edited by Snorlax; 08-13-2019, 12:27 PM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

One caution about the Schilke 52E2. The rim is rounder so can feel quite different on the chops.

See this post a few years ago:
      http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...2#.XVL4Qnt7niV
      Last edited by RickF; 08-13-2019, 05:06 PM.
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
      ​

Comment

• franz
        • Dec 2015

The 52D measures 25,78mm against the 25,55mm of the 51D. The 52E2 is 25,91mm: it's a good mouthpiece but it has a narrow edge. You have to see if it fits your chops. I don't recommend the Schilke Symphony series:I tried it on the trombone in the past, but I returned to the normal 51 before switching to K&G. I, on the Besson Prestige, feel good with a much larger diameter than those used by the euphonium players of this forum: I modified a K&G, now with an internal diameter of about 28mm, with a V profile and a narrow edge: I feel it very good, both in the lower and high register ( high natural B comes out very easily), greater security in pianissimo attacks, brighter and more sonorous sound than the K&G3D,on the other hand I lost something in terms of resistance. Mouthpieces that I used and liked was: SM3, SM3X and K&G3D.
        P.S.: if you want I have a Schilke 5,1D* modified for euphonium with a bigger inner diameter and a deeper cup which I don't use anymore.
        Last edited by franz; 08-13-2019, 01:31 PM.
        2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• Nastynoff
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by RickF View Post
          On caution about the Schilke 52E2. The rim is rounder so can feel quite different on the chops.

See this post a few years ago:
          http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...2#.XVL4Qnt7niV
          I will certainly consider the 52E2. But I wonder if that's the mouthpiece designed for Beversdorf? If so, does it have same rim as the 4GB made for the same guy? I did not like the rim of the Bach

Franz, how much bigger is the 5.1D* of yours? I think I will stick with the same size as my trombone for now.

Comment

• bbocaner
            • May 2009

Try out a Giddings Kadja.
            --
            Barry

Comment

• franz
              • Dec 2015

Franz, how much bigger is the 5.1D* of yours? I think I will stick with the same size as my trombone for now.[/QUOTE]

The 51D* has been modified with respect to the original: now it produces a darker sound, suitable for the euphonium. The inner diameter is now around 26,4mm.
              2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• razorbacks1898
                • Sep 2017

I was using a 51D for a while, and then I tried out the Schilke Symphony Series 5.2*. I really liked it a lot more, because it was a little bigger but I also felt it was easier to play.
                Sean Breast
                DMA Euphonium Performance - James Madison University '22
                Adams Custom E3, SS Bell - Denis Wick SM3.5
                Edwards T350-HB - Warburton Gail Robertson Signature
                Edwards B454-V - Greg Black 1 1/8G
                BAC Custom Shires Straight Tenor - Schilke 47C4
                ...and random others

Comment

• cochranme
                  • Sep 2008

I’d definitely consider looking through the Giddings offerings. I recently picked up a DHWA-S, and it’s very close to what you’re describing. A 4 rim with a slight funnel shaped 4 cup. If you like to stick with brass, then check out The Warburton 4GD. It’s a great feeling run with a deeper cup, similar to the 51D. Good luck!
                  Martin Cochran
                  Adams Performing Artist
                  mceuph75@gmail.com

Comment

• mbrooke
                    • Jan 2006

The difficulty that you'll find is that mouthpieces like the Warburton or Kadja have throats and backbores that are significantly larger than the 51D. My suggestion would be to have a 51D cup threaded to fit a Doug Elliott rim. Dave Houser performs that type of work. Another possibility is to contact Justin Gorodetzky and see what he can do. He can probably thread the underpart or make a new mouthpiece to your specification.

Mike

Comment

• Nastynoff
                      • Nov 2008

Thank you all for the suggestions! I will try to look into some of them but I don't think everything is easily available in Norway :/ But it's nice to know that there's plenty of options!

Comment

• JTJ
                        • Nov 2005

I would talk with or email Doug Elliott. Usually that's sort of a facile recommendation, but I think Doug could come the closest to what you want.

John

Comment

• mbrooke
                          • Jan 2006

One more suggestion for you is the Parker Lance LaDuke model. My understanding is that it is a 51D depth cup with a 1.02 rim. it is stainless steel.

http://www.parkermouthpieces.com/new...8543pipyyd15zs

Mike

Comment

• ernstlanzer
                            • Feb 2015

I think what you want is a Hammond 11XL or 10XL.

Karl Hammond used to design the Schilke pieces and he describes the 12XL as a similar but improved version of the 51D. The 11XL and 10XL are the same depth and cup shape but with wider rims.

I just received a Hammond 10XL. It has the feel, sound, and rim profile of a 51D with a wider 1.03" rim (but it feels closer to a DE 104 to me because of the different rim shape). Dillon has them in stock.

Comment

Working...
                            X