Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 51D but bigger?

1. 51D but bigger?

Lately I've been playing a Schilke 51D on my Besson Prestige. And I really like the sound it helps me make. But I got to work quite hard for it, mostly because the rim size is just too small for me. The mouthpiece I use for my tenor trombone is a Laskey 59D, which is roughly a 4 size. For the record, the Laskey does not work for me on euph.

My question is this: Does Schilke, or any other maker, make something that has much of the sound and blow of the 51D but in a bigger size? How about the Schilke Symphony-series or the 52D? Or maybe what makes me like the sound is down to it being small... Any thoughts you might have will be appreciated

I believe the 52E2 might fit your bill...it's been aeons since I used one, though...shortly after the Crimean War, IIRC.
    Seriously, I think the 52E2 will fit your needs. It is indeed a bit larger than the 51D. You might want to check the info
    here on the forum. Again IIRC, the 51D is 25.5mm across (Bach 5-sized) whereas the 52E2 is a full 26mm (Bach 4-sized)
    Jim
    Last edited by Snorlax; 08-13-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

One caution about the Schilke 52E2. The rim is rounder so can feel quite different on the chops.

See this post a few years ago:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...2#.XVL4Qnt7niV
    Last edited by RickF; 08-13-2019 at 05:06 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

The 52D measures 25,78mm against the 25,55mm of the 51D. The 52E2 is 25,91mm: it's a good mouthpiece but it has a narrow edge. You have to see if it fits your chops. I don't recommend the Schilke Symphony series:I tried it on the trombone in the past, but I returned to the normal 51 before switching to K&G. I, on the Besson Prestige, feel good with a much larger diameter than those used by the euphonium players of this forum: I modified a K&G, now with an internal diameter of about 28mm, with a V profile and a narrow edge: I feel it very good, both in the lower and high register ( high natural B comes out very easily), greater security in pianissimo attacks, brighter and more sonorous sound than the K&G3D,on the other hand I lost something in terms of resistance. Mouthpieces that I used and liked was: SM3, SM3X and K&G3D.
    P.S.: if you want I have a Schilke 5,1D* modified for euphonium with a bigger inner diameter and a deeper cup which I don't use anymore.
    Last edited by franz; 08-13-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

5. Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    On caution about the Schilke 52E2. The rim is rounder so can feel quite different on the chops.

See this post a few years ago:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...2#.XVL4Qnt7niV
    I will certainly consider the 52E2. But I wonder if that's the mouthpiece designed for Beversdorf? If so, does it have same rim as the 4GB made for the same guy? I did not like the rim of the Bach

Franz, how much bigger is the 5.1D* of yours? I think I will stick with the same size as my trombone for now.

Try out a Giddings Kadja.
    --
    Barry

Franz, how much bigger is the 5.1D* of yours? I think I will stick with the same size as my trombone for now.[/QUOTE]

The 51D* has been modified with respect to the original: now it produces a darker sound, suitable for the euphonium. The inner diameter is now around 26,4mm.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

I was using a 51D for a while, and then I tried out the Schilke Symphony Series 5.2*. I really liked it a lot more, because it was a little bigger but I also felt it was easier to play.

9. I’d definitely consider looking through the Giddings offerings. I recently picked up a DHWA-S, and it’s very close to what you’re describing. A 4 rim with a slight funnel shaped 4 cup. If you like to stick with brass, then check out The Warburton 4GD. It’s a great feeling run with a deeper cup, similar to the 51D. Good luck!

The difficulty that you'll find is that mouthpieces like the Warburton or Kadja have throats and backbores that are significantly larger than the 51D. My suggestion would be to have a 51D cup threaded to fit a Doug Elliott rim. Dave Houser performs that type of work. Another possibility is to contact Justin Gorodetzky and see what he can do. He can probably thread the underpart or make a new mouthpiece to your specification.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast