Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video on Vibrato and Lip Trills, include their relationship to each other

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    Thank you everyone, especially Mr. Morgan! I never thought there was so much to think about and pay attention when it comes to trilling. I've taken a look at Arban's Trill section... and I have to admit I've never took a good look at it as I kept telling myself I need to focus on the more basic stuff in the book until I feel competent enough.
    A little more on lip trilling. I look at this skill kind of like double- and triple-tonguing in that you literally have to practice this continually and for a long time to get the speed, accuracy, exactness, etc. And to get the "ka" syllable to sound exactly like the "ta" syllable. There are many ways to practice, the Arban book is a good one. I also practice playing just the "ka" syllable on the tonguing exercises. But I digress, this is about lip trills.

Just to show that the process of learning to lip trill takes an abundance of time, like becoming highly proficient at multiple tonguing.

What I use to get my lip trilling up to speed (very fast), and as a daily warmup, is that I start on an F in the staff and trill that (to a Bb) maybe half a dozen times, then go up chromatically and trill each note all the way up to the F above the staff. As you go up, the trill interval gets smaller, and somewhat easier. Then trill back down chromatically. Try using alternate fingerings as well. It did take me some time to really get these up to speed. Eventually you end up being able to go very fast and quite suitable for use in most musical passages calling for trills.

I also work on lip trills above the F above the staff in the same manner, by starting on the F above the staff, and going up to around high Bb. You usually don't see trills this high, but it doesn't hurt to have this ability.

As for the actual slurring of the lip trill, you can do it as an up down up down up down type of action, but I also found something a long time ago that helped me get faster. That was to practice the trill as if it were a triplet with accents on the 1st note of each triplet. In other words, say on a trill from middle Bb to D, think of Bb-D-Bb / D-Bb-D / etc. Group the notes in three's and lightly accent the first note in each group of three. This allowed me to speed up the trill, and when you can do it fast, it won't sound like triplets.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 08-11-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

2. Another fine video Dave. I'd only suggest that you'd spend some time talking about the quality of air and how you control that stream via the oral cavity to achieve the fast trills you demonstrate.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Quote Originally Posted by jkircoff View Post
    Another fine video Dave. I'd only suggest that you'd spend some time talking about the quality of air and how you control that stream via the oral cavity to achieve the fast trills you demonstrate.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good one, but I don't plan to re-record the video.

There is a reason I did not go into those details, though. For this particular set of skills, I mostly figured them out on my own. At the time I started working with lip trills I followed the same process I described in the video. No one had taught me about air stream or oral cavity considerations, so I don't tend to associate that focus with learning the skills I discussed.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12