Thread: FS: Wessex BR-140 3 Valve Compensating Baritone

1. Thumbs up FS: Wessex BR-140 3 Valve Compensating Baritone

*Sold!*

Hello everyone,

I'm reluctantly putting my Wessex baritone up for sale, as I haven't had the opportunity to play it as much as I would like to, and I need the extra money right now. So, unfortunately I need to reduce the number of instruments I own.

I’m asking $600, which includes shipping costs to the Continental US, and a portion of the sale will go to support the Forum. Also more than happy to meet locally if in the Eugene, Oregon area. Will ship in the original box and foam packing it arrived from the Wessex warehouse in.

Link to pictures on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vsdp5nzck...jJFbx4kKa?dl=0

Comes with the following:

-Original zippered foam case (new ones now come with a hard sided latched case from what I understand) that has some minor scuffing/discoloration from use.
    -Original Wessex Young 6 ½ AL mouthpiece (never used, still in plastic)
    -Factory quality check card and Wessex baseball hat.
    -MeadSprings for Baritone/Non-Compensating Euphoniums installed, which really helped improve the valve action and response.

Purchased new from Wessex in January 2018 (Manufactured in March 2017 based on serial number).
    Has a lacquer finish, Gold Brass bell, and floating leadpipe. You can see specs on the Wessex website:
    https://wessex-tubas.com/products/bb...-3-valve-br140

Has had no major damage or past repairs. The 3rd valve top cap has a tendency to cross-thread (something I’ve read is, or at least was, a common issue with Wessex instruments around the time this particular horn was made), so you’ll want to be careful when screwing back on that valve cap. There is a tiny ding on the leadpipe and a few small dings on the second valve slide. In addition, there are some rough spots on the finish under the lacquer and some excess solder on a few joints (again, please see the photos for this) Also, there’s a strange slight ripple in the metal on the main tuning slide that I have tried to photograph. This was here when I received the instrument. It doesn’t affect the functionality of the slide or the playability of the instrument, so I didn’t bother returning it. The small cork bits on the ends of the water keys have all fallen off, but this doesn’t affect playability in any way. Well maintained and cleaned regularly. Valves are broken in and work nicely, particularly with the added Meadsprings.

I bought this instrument originally as part of a little project in my graduate studies to learn my way around the baritone horn and feature it in a recital to contrast with euphonium. I've performed the Martin Ellerby Baritone Concerto, Paul Lovatt-Cooper’s Donegal Bay, With His First Breath, Tom Davoren’s The Healing Power of Flame, and Percy Grainger’s Lincolnshire Posy on this great instrument. I'll include a few recording links below for those interested. Not perfect recordings by any means, but it was very enjoyable to perform!

Ellerby Concerto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgr2KfvAbqM

Donegal Bay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMD9ked1kyI

Plays very well throughout the range of the instrument, some intonation quirks but nothing that is unmanageable. I used a Denis Wick 6BS, which I felt was a great fit for the horn. Produces a nice characteristic baritone sound, and is an overall very enjoyable instrument to play!

Thank you for looking, and please let me know of any questions!
    Last edited by Fujiifilm; 08-24-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

nice job with the Ellerby! Very challenging piece...
    --
    Barry

3. Thank you Barry! Challenging for sure, but also a rewarding piece to work up! The second movement in particular is just a joy to play.

Past:

Dude let me know if you ever move to the Bay Area - I got a Brass Band seat for you!
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

5. Thanks Jake! I'll definitely keep you in mind if I end up in the area!

Past:

6. Update: Sold!