Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristianeSparkle
    • Jun 2018

Great reviews! Congrats on the arrival of the horn!

In regards to the weird buzzing sound, it could be the springs in the valves not seated properly. Explains why the 1st valve's buzzing stopped after you take it out. try opening the valve caps and pulling the valves half way out while having the valves stand vertically, it usually helps to seat the springs properly, at least for me.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

I agree that it could be the spring is not sitting straight inside the casing. I discuss that very issue in my video about cleaning the euphonium. This link should take you to that part of the video:

https://youtu.be/kVxSxMnV8i8?t=792
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• pdbenbow
        • Aug 2019

Thanks for the replies. I practiced for 30 minutes today and noticed that the buzzing is (mostly) gone, so I think you're both correct that it's just a spring not sitting right.

It's only been two days and it feels like my chops are already slowly coming back. Undoubtedly a lot of that is just owed to muscle memory, and I still have a long road ahead of me when it comes to developing the actual muscles in my embouchure. I'm definitely more comfortable with slurring than I was yesterday, but I have a tendency to slide right past the note I'm trying to hit. I noticed today that my air control is sloppy and inconsistent, and I have a hard time sustaining notes evenly for more than a few bars. And lastly, my upper register is still garbage... I managed to hit a very weak high G today... but I think my range will probably take the longest time to rebuild of anything.

The thing that's probably the most improved in only two days has been my articulation; I ran through some improvised drills doing rapid single- and double-tonguing, and I was actually pleased with the results.

As for the euphonium, no complaints yet. First valve is a little slower to come up than the others, but nothing that a dab of Blue Juice probably can't solve.

I'm going to try to get my hands on some etudes, and I'm working on an arrangement of "Gabriel's Oboe" as an attainable goal, something I might be able to play at my family's church by Christmas if I keep practicing steadily. After that, I'm thinking Morceau Symphonique (a favorite that I performed in a recital in college), and then the Marcello Sonata in F Major (a piece that I practiced a lot but never performed).

Comment

• cochranme
          • Sep 2008

Pete, check your private messages.
          Martin Cochran
          Adams Performing Artist
          mceuph75@gmail.com

Comment

• adrian_quince
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by pdbenbow View Post
            It's only been two days and it feels like my chops are already slowly coming back. Undoubtedly a lot of that is just owed to muscle memory, and I still have a long road ahead of me when it comes to developing the actual muscles in my embouchure. I'm definitely more comfortable with slurring than I was yesterday, but I have a tendency to slide right past the note I'm trying to hit. I noticed today that my air control is sloppy and inconsistent, and I have a hard time sustaining notes evenly for more than a few bars. And lastly, my upper register is still garbage... I managed to hit a very weak high G today... but I think my range will probably take the longest time to rebuild of anything.
            Range disappears quickly and comes back slowly. I broke my arm last year and couldn't hold an instrument for the better part of two months. When I started playing again, I'd lost almost an octave off the top end of my range. It took a while to get it back, but it gave me the opportunity to be more methodical and precise in building it back up. Now I've got the top end back and its more consistent and easier to play musically.

My point is that the situation of having to rebuild range and other aspects of playing as an adult with greater maturity can be a blessing in disguise.
            Adrian L. Quince
            Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
            www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Comment

• tbonesullivan
              • Jul 2019

I have found that if you don't have time to practice every day, the P.E.T.E. from Warburton is a good way to maintain and even build up endurance. It really does help strengthen the embouchure foundation muscles, which gives more practice time, where you develop the fine control. You've also got to re-learn how to shape your air cavity inside your mouth, which does change with the range you are playing in.
              Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Comment

Working...
              X