Thread: Mouthpiece/ Embouchure Issue?

Mouthpiece/ Embouchure Issue?

Hi all, I’m having some trouble playing on my current mouthpiece. I play on an SMX4, and it might be the mouthpiece or me, and for some reason my upper lip starts hurting and gets tired when I play above an Eb above the staff, and I used to be able to rip out high notes (Bb, C) with ease. And it didn’t hurt at all. But now I am using as little pressure as possible and using only air and I can get them out but I just feel so heavy in my mouthpiece and it’s concerning me a lot. Even in the middle range like in the staff it still feels very weird and unnatural. I spoke with my professor about it recently and he said it might be the sharp rim on the SMX4 and he advised me to try a Bach 3 or 4G instead. I was wondering if you’ve heard of this problem or experienced it yourself? It made me feel like I had revered to how I played in highschool, not able to easily hit high b flat without hurting my mouth. My teeth seem to be digging a little into the right side of my upper lip. It feels like I’m fatigued after just half an hour of practice and I used to practice 4 hours a day on occasion! Any advice? Please and thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Ianmq View Post
    Hi all, I’m having some trouble playing on my current mouthpiece. I play on an SMX4, and it might be the mouthpiece or me, and for some reason my upper lip starts hurting and gets tired when I play above an Eb above the staff, and I used to be able to rip out high notes (Bb, C) with ease. [snip]
    It may be worth your while to do a consultation with Doug Elliott. He also manufactures a number of different rims at the same 1.02 inch (26mm) size.
    http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/series.html
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Sounds like you're pressing the mouthpiece too forcefully against your lips/teeth. The Doug Elliott suggestion is a good one.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Well I mean, I’ve never really had this problem until I got this SM4X, I don’t use a lot of pressure at all I just think the way my mouth has to move to set for high notes is just pushing against something. I will continue to try and use less pressure though.

A change of mouthpiece can have unexpected effects on your physical "habits" or whatever you would call them. I suppose it is possible you ARE unintentionally using more pressure now because of some subtle different in how the mp feels. For example, a very rounded rim can make a mouthpiece feel larger because the inner rim curves away from your chops sooner. Taking a given mp and changing from a flatter rim to a rounder rim, or vice versa, could perhaps make a difference in how much pressure you use. Just a thought.

As I mentioned on Facebook, I found my SM4U had a sharper rim. For me the discomfort was on my lip surface until I got quite used to it. If the X has the same profile as my U, perhaps the different pressure distribution causes some extra scuffing inside your chops. Just another thought.

Still, I like the idea of having a session with Doug. I think he does web sessions.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium