Thread: Willson Euphonium - Development History

Willson Euphonium - Development History

Just found this little bit of history by Brian Bowman. It's always fun to hear these stories!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_JppciNl8s

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Fascinating! Dr. Bowman looking for the pre-Sovereign sound. The classic Besson sound.

This video brings back memories of my student days at Michigan State starting in 1975. I don’t recall what horns the school originally provided but they were probably those original style Bessons. Around my sophomore year the school bought 3 Sovereigns. I was given one as was Roger Behrend. The third if I recall did not play well at all. But Roger who of course was a Bowman disciple talked all the time about the new Willson which along with the Hirsbrunner were the first serious competitors to Besson. It’s the reason I ended up with my now 38 year old 2900S.

Not gonna lie, because people are always referring to the 'original Besson sound' I've always had that nagging feeling that I should buy or at least try out an old medium shank Imperial or New Standard to experience that playing sensation... sadly money is tight and my parents would slaughter me for buying a THIRD professional grade euph as a 23-year old xD