Thread: Michigan / midwest brass repair recommendations

1. Michigan / midwest brass repair recommendations

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for brass repair shops in the Michigan and surrounding area to do some work on my Sterling Virtuoso euphonium. I asked Dave for a suggestion last week, and he recommended Kevin out of Custom Tubas in Ferndale, MI, but unfortunately they have ceased doing repairs. I'm willing to ship the horn out of state to the right person.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    -JK
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Jim,

Lee Stofer in Iowa does "EXCELLENT" work. I had some work done on my Adams with absolutely perfect results. I know Dave had a bell wrinkle repaired by him. I currently have my '56 B&H Imperial with him to be restored (sort of). He is a busy man, but his work is absolutely great.

Rather than display his personal stuff all over the Internet, PM me if you would like his contact information. He is in far eastern Iowa. I wrapped up my Adams myself and sent it to him on Greyhound. Worked great.

John
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Does anyone here know Kevin's last name and/or website/phone/email/whatever? I would assume he has his own shop somewhere.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Kevin is Kevin Powers. I don’t know the current status of his shop, but here is the last contact information I have. He has done some really first rate work for me in the past.

Michigan Musical Instrument Repair
    3151 N. Custer St., Monroe, MI 48162
    734-242-4914

5. Thanks to John, Dave, and Mike for their responses. Kevin Powers is an hour and a half from my house, and he's a former employee of Custom Music with extensive Sterling experience. I've contacted him and he's agreed to work on my euphonium.

BTW Lee Stofer is wonderful, which is why he is quite busy and isn't available to work on my instrument in the time frame I'd like to the work to be completed.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)