Thread: My Warm-Up Strategy and Technique - Video

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Warm-Up Strategy and Technique - Video

I finally had a chance to put together a video of my logic and method for warming up. As it turned out, I'm an additional topic - how to prepare when coming back after a layoff. In the 6 weeks before the video, the first 3 weeks had about 5-6 practice days, and the last 3 weeks had 0 (recovering from dental surgery). But as I think you'll hear, my standard daily method works just as well for "coming back" if you use the logic that drives what I play each day.

Watch it on YouTube:
    Warm Up with a Strategy

Or watch it right here:

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. That was Great. Please could you do a video of the techniques you talk of in your post "Building Strength and High Range"

What a great video Dave! I can see that I need to warmup with more focus. Thanks.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    That was Great. Please could you do a video of the techniques you talk of in your post "Building Strength and High Range"
    Thanks! As soon as I have some of each back! (That thought had crossed my mind a few times over the years.)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    What a great video Dave! I can see that I need to warmup with more focus. Thanks.
    Thanks! (Believe it or not, I actually shortened the raw version by almost 1/3. I had a problem not getting too deep into "tips" along the way)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. Several times I've been in solo or competitive situations where warm-up time is very limited. It would be interesting to hear how Dave has prepared for similar situations throughout his career!
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Quote Originally Posted by jkircoff View Post
    Several times I've been in solo or competitive situations where warm-up time is very limited. It would be interesting to hear how Dave has prepared for similar situations throughout his career!
    If I understand your question, I would get a good warmup as close to the event as possible - that might mean first thing in the morning. The in my limited warmup time later I would start in the comfy low range and move through a few notes. Then I go to scales, particularly in keys that I might face later. I slur or single-tongue them and try to get myself through the total range I'll need. That can take place in two or three minutes if need be. I don't bother with multiple-tonguing unless I think I'll need it later.

The overall logic is always the same - to start with no stress and get up to speed, either sooner or later. In my longer warmup I'm sneaking in bits of practice, such as the double/triple tonguing I demonstrated in the video.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)