• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

My Warm-Up Strategy and Technique - Video

I finally had a chance to put together a video of my logic and method for warming up. As it turned out, I'm an additional topic - how to prepare when coming back after a layoff. In the 6 weeks before the video, the first 3 weeks had about 5-6 practice days, and the last 3 weeks had 0 (recovering from dental surgery). But as I think you'll hear, my standard daily method works just as well for "coming back" if you use the logic that drives what I play each day.

Watch it on YouTube:
    Warm Up with a Strategy

Or watch it right here:

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium
  • graeme
    • Jun 2009

That was Great. Please could you do a video of the techniques you talk of in your post "Building Strength and High Range"

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

What a great video Dave! I can see that I need to warmup with more focus. Thanks.
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by graeme View Post
        That was Great. Please could you do a video of the techniques you talk of in your post "Building Strength and High Range"
        Thanks! As soon as I have some of each back! (That thought had crossed my mind a few times over the years.)

Originally posted by RickF View Post
        What a great video Dave! I can see that I need to warmup with more focus. Thanks.
        Thanks! (Believe it or not, I actually shortened the raw version by almost 1/3. I had a problem not getting too deep into "tips" along the way)
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• jkircoff
          • Jan 2013

Several times I've been in solo or competitive situations where warm-up time is very limited. It would be interesting to hear how Dave has prepared for similar situations throughout his career!
          James Kircoff
          Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
          Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jkircoff View Post
            Several times I've been in solo or competitive situations where warm-up time is very limited. It would be interesting to hear how Dave has prepared for similar situations throughout his career!
            If I understand your question, I would get a good warmup as close to the event as possible - that might mean first thing in the morning. The in my limited warmup time later I would start in the comfy low range and move through a few notes. Then I go to scales, particularly in keys that I might face later. I slur or single-tongue them and try to get myself through the total range I'll need. That can take place in two or three minutes if need be. I don't bother with multiple-tonguing unless I think I'll need it later.

The overall logic is always the same - to start with no stress and get up to speed, either sooner or later. In my longer warmup I'm sneaking in bits of practice, such as the double/triple tonguing I demonstrated in the video.
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

Working...
            X