Thread: My Warm-Up Strategy and Technique - Video

My Warm-Up Strategy and Technique - Video

I finally had a chance to put together a video of my logic and method for warming up. As it turned out, I'm an additional topic - how to prepare when coming back after a layoff. In the 6 weeks before the video, the first 3 weeks had about 5-6 practice days, and the last 3 weeks had 0 (recovering from dental surgery). But as I think you'll hear, my standard daily method works just as well for "coming back" if you use the logic that drives what I play each day.

Watch it on YouTube:
    Warm Up with a Strategy

Or watch it right here:

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams E3, Denis Wick 4AL (classic)
    Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
    Twitter: davewerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    YouTube: dwerden
    Owner of TubaEuph.com, DWerden.com

2. That was Great. Please could you do a video of the techniques you talk of in your post "Building Strength and High Range"

What a great video Dave! I can see that I need to warmup with more focus. Thanks.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    When the Saints Go Marching In (arr. Mashima) at ACB Conference Ft. Lauderdale
    Cell phone video of : El Cumbanchero:

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    That was Great. Please could you do a video of the techniques you talk of in your post "Building Strength and High Range"
    Thanks! As soon as I have some of each back! (That thought had crossed my mind a few times over the years.)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    What a great video Dave! I can see that I need to warmup with more focus. Thanks.
    Thanks! (Believe it or not, I actually shortened the raw version by almost 1/3. I had a problem not getting too deep into "tips" along the way)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)

5. Several times I've been in solo or competitive situations where warm-up time is very limited. It would be interesting to hear how Dave has prepared for similar situations throughout his career!
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ Parker 4G Houser)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY) and 10 piece ensemble (Getzen 1052FD bass trombone w/ Bach 1G)

Quote Originally Posted by jkircoff View Post
    Several times I've been in solo or competitive situations where warm-up time is very limited. It would be interesting to hear how Dave has prepared for similar situations throughout his career!
    If I understand your question, I would get a good warmup as close to the event as possible - that might mean first thing in the morning. The in my limited warmup time later I would start in the comfy low range and move through a few notes. Then I go to scales, particularly in keys that I might face later. I slur or single-tongue them and try to get myself through the total range I'll need. That can take place in two or three minutes if need be. I don't bother with multiple-tonguing unless I think I'll need it later.

The overall logic is always the same - to start with no stress and get up to speed, either sooner or later. In my longer warmup I'm sneaking in bits of practice, such as the double/triple tonguing I demonstrated in the video.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)