Thread: Oval Mirafone Euphonium from 1970's

Oval Mirafone Euphonium from 1970's

I just acquired an Oval Mirafone EUphonium. I believe. It came with a 1975 Price List and Catalogue. According to the catalogue the Bell for the EUph is 11 1/4's. Mine is 11 3/8's. The Bore off the 4th valve reads o.64"s or 15.8mm's. I measured the inside of the tuning slide post. The smaller one. The catalogue states it is a 56-4-0, but I can not find a model number on it. The Catalogue states it is a .577 bore with .635 coming off the 4th valve. Anyway this is what I assume I have.
    AS I understand it has a small shank receiver . Although my small shank mouthpieces go almost all the way in except for my DOug Elliott which sticks out about 1/4''. I was wondering if a large shank receiver and or more open leadpipe could be adapted to it. I have quite an abundance of large shank mouthpieces I would like to try on it. It has a beautiful sound . I only had my Hammond 10ML+ 26.1 mm and a HOuser /Parker 26.5ish 4G model. I use these on Tenor Trombone and are too small in my opinion for this instrument.
    Anyway I have a DE J cup I am looking for a J6E or J6ES to try on it. ANyone have one. If anyone has anymore info on this instrument I would like to hear it. The receiver opening is 12.5mm and the leadpipe O.D. at the rear of the receiver is 12.9mm
    Thanks, John Mckevitt
    Last edited by johnmckevitt; 07-25-2019 at 01:33 PM.

That horn may have (probably has?) the medium shank European receiver -- like my Amati of the same vintage does. You can get one from Doug that will interchange into the DE cup you have.

I've never bothered putting a large shank receiver on mine, but you certainly could do that as well. Gives you more mouthpiece options.
    Last edited by ghmerrill; 07-25-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Congrats John on your new axe. Gary is right that Doug Elliott has medium (or Euro) shanks that would probably fit many of your cups. I have a Euro shank just in case I ever get a Willson horn. I'm holding on to that just in case.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

It would have been designed for something closer to a Elliott F or E cup size, that's what german players would use on it and will probably tune better with an appropriately sized mouthpiece.
    --
    Barry

Thanks All, I'm sure I'll be on a Quest to find the right mouthpiece to use on it for a bit. It came with a Mirafone B-56 ~26.00 mm Roughly a Bach 4G/4GB or Schilke 52D . I have G* and H* cups that I use with my 520 and 522 bore Tenor Trombones. I use a 103 rim and the G* as My Big Band Lead Trombone mpce. Being primarily a Bass Trombonist(29.50MM rim)BBbb COntrabass Trombone(32.6mm rim) and BBbb TUba (33.5mm rim) I tend to go larger than most on my Smaller Horns. My Large bore Tenor Trb. is a Bach 2G and the last time I had a Euphonium( Besson New Standard 4 valve ~1970 era), I was using a Greg Black 1 1/2G Medium weight mpce. It's nice to have a Euphonium again. THE FUN BEGINS!!
    Last edited by johnmckevitt; 07-26-2019 at 06:59 AM.