Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carbogast
    • Mar 2006

I use them nearly every practice session. I keep the main slide in, and dump it out the bell. Sometimes they get hung up *after* the tuning slide. I think it's because they tumble sideways at some point and get stuck. Blowing again will send them on their way.
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Comment

• JoeMin
      • Feb 2021

Thanks everyone for the replies! I did think of most of those ideas and tried your suggestions. (except pouring water down the bell, that's next)
      The horn is playing fine and all valves work fine. I've cleaned the area (the whole basement room) thoroughly and found nothing like what I expected. I did NOT try a snake yet and guess that should be next along with water down the bell. I also DID notice a much cleaner feel to the horn and I'll definitely continue on a weekly basis. Also, I did have the main tuning slide pulled out, so I thought I was doing it properly...still a mystery to me, but I'll definitely be more attentive next time I use them!
      Joe

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by JoeMin View Post
        Thanks everyone for the replies! I did think of most of those ideas and tried your suggestions. (except pouring water down the bell, that's next)
        The horn is playing fine and all valves work fine. I've cleaned the area (the whole basement room) thoroughly and found nothing like what I expected. I did NOT try a snake yet and guess that should be next along with water down the bell. I also DID notice a much cleaner feel to the horn and I'll definitely continue on a weekly basis. Also, I did have the main tuning slide pulled out, so I thought I was doing it properly...still a mystery to me, but I'll definitely be more attentive next time I use them!
        Joe
        That's good news! If it were stuck in the horn (anywhere before the tuning slide) you would absolutely notice a problem playing the instrument! I confess I have temporarily lost a used Spitball from time to time. They can come out of the horn with a lot of velocity and roll quite well. My routine is to put a somewhat rumpled-up hand towel below the tuning slide receiver so there are some wrinkles to help slow it down. Even then it winds up a few feet away sometimes.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• ghmerrill
          • Dec 2011

I don't use these things, but do clean my instruments otherwise on a regular basis. You should be aware that there are some important places in your horn (particularly a standard euphonium with vertical valves).

For the first time in a LONG time -- over a year, since I haven't been playing it for a couple of years regularly -- I got out my compensating Eb tuba yesterday and cleaned off the valves and reassembled everything. As part of that I pulled off the bottom valve caps and discovered a lot of built-up crud (partly hardened and partly still slimy) in a couple of them. This stuff will not be reached by Herco balls or even by flushing the horn. The bottom caps have to be removed to get at the build-up and what clings to the spring bumpers in them. Eventually, that crap can work upwards and onto the piston. So it's something to keep in mind over time and not think that you're reaching it without taking the valves apart.
          Gary Merrill
          Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
          Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
          Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
          1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
          Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
          1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• daruby
            • Apr 2006

Gary,

I use Spitballs, QHR, and disassembly with swabs to do a full home cleaning on my horns. Once or twice a year. Yup valves, slides and the whole thing.

Doug
            Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
            Concord Band
            Winchendon Winds
            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• mbrooke
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
              I don't use these things, but do clean my instruments otherwise on a regular basis. You should be aware that there are some important places in your horn (particularly a standard euphonium with vertical valves).

For the first time in a LONG time -- over a year, since I haven't been playing it for a couple of years regularly -- I got out my compensating Eb tuba yesterday and cleaned off the valves and reassembled everything. As part of that I pulled off the bottom valve caps and discovered a lot of built-up crud (partly hardened and partly still slimy) in a couple of them. This stuff will not be reached by Herco balls or even by flushing the horn. The bottom caps have to be removed to get at the build-up and what clings to the spring bumpers in them. Eventually, that crap can work upwards and onto the piston. So it's something to keep in mind over time and not think that you're reaching it without taking the valves apart.
              If you let the crud build up enough, it works just like heavy weight caps!

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X