Thread: Solo for church - "Share My Yoke"

Solo for church - "Share My Yoke"

I read a post on another forum where someone shared a link to a beautiful piece called, "Share My Yoke". I searched the web for other recordings and sheet music with piano accompaniment. Found it in the UK at 'Just Music UK' so ordered it. It's for Bb cornet but I read TC anyway. "Share My Yoke" was written by Major Joy Webb of the Salvation Army. Maj. Webb was founder of Salvation Army music group, "The Joystrings" back in the '60s. The arrangement for piano is by Ivor Bosanko. There are also arr. for brass band and wind band. Not sure the wind band arr. would work for euphonium since the intro is played by euphonium.

To listen to two excellent recordings go here:

Scroll down some and you'll see two video links. The first one is with euphonium. They don't give credit who the euphonium artist is but discovered it's Gaz Rose (Geneva artist) who plays with Salvation Army Band in the U.K. Just beautiful! (although not crazy about the synthesized strings). The second video is with brass ensemble with Hans Gansch playing cornet. Also beautiful.

-- edited to correct credit to Gaz Rose as euphonium soloist --
    Last edited by RickF; 09-03-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I read a post on another forum where someone shared a link to a beautiful piece called, "Share My Yoke". I searched the web for other recordings and sheet music with piano accompaniment. Found it in the UK at 'Just Music UK' so ordered it. It's for Bb cornet but I read TC anyway. "Share My Yoke" was written by Major Joy Webb of the Salvation Army. Maj. Webb was founder of Salvation Army music group, "The Joystrings" back in the '60s. The arrangement for piano is by Ivor Bosanko. There are also arr. for brass band and wind band. Not sure the wind band arr. would work for euphonium since the intro is played by euphonium.

To listen to two excellent recordings go here:

Scroll down some and you'll see two video links. The first one is with euphonium. They don't give credit who the euphonium artist is but discovered it's Gaz Rose (Geneva artist) who plays with Salvation Army Band in the U.K. Just beautiful! (although not crazy about the synthesized strings). The second video is with brass ensemble with Hans Gansch playing cornet. Also beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing this. I am always looking for music to play at church each week. This is a beautiful piece!
    Last edited by RickF; 09-03-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Great tune and great performances!
    Thanx for sharing.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

The Joystrings and Ivor Bosanko. Wow. Two names I haven't heard in eons... Ivor used to be the Divisional Music Director in Philadelphia for years. His Wife Jeannette is a good musician as well.
    DANA

Meet the Family
    Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
    Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
    Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
    Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
    Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
    Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
    Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Why do they play it so slowly? Why do brass players do this so often. Music needs movement. The Hans Gansch one in particular is overwrought and fussy. (Sublime cornet playing thought).

I had the great pleasure of listening to Kevin Ashman (ex principal cornet of the ISB) play this recently, accompanied by Howard Evans on piano, and it was nowhere near as slow as these, and the better for it.

Somewhere along the line, these people have confused tediously slow tempos, and tasteless rubato, for profundity.

I enjoy all sorts of interpretations.

(I actually played a piece way slower than written for many years ago...as I was only a month or so out from carpal tunnel release surgery...and it was all I could muster. It ended up being many folks' favorite performance of the piece.)
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

I personally think the tempo is perfect for the text - which was taken from Matthew 11. Also, the eupher (Gary or Gaz Rose) was playing at a memorial service.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)