Thread: Adjusting from Baritone to Euphonium

1. Adjusting from Baritone to Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by daniel76309 View Post
    but I can't help but wonder how much of this difference is due to the fact that it is a baritone, and how much is due to the fact that it is an inexpensive baritone.
    This is interesting to me, because as a baritone player I have been wondering about basic differences between baritone and euphonium. I would love to hear experienced players’ observations on this subject if we could broaden the thread’s original intent a bit.

I am considering a switch to euphonium. What differences could I expect?

Jeff

I moved this to its own thread. I like thread titles to represent the content therein.

For me, there is a fairly large difference between the two. BTW, I don't consider myself a baritone horn player, although I pretend to be sometimes.

For you, I would think you'd mostly have to get used to using more air (quantity). The bore is larger and more conical, so you are blowing against less resistance. This will make tonguing sharply more difficult, for one thing. And you'll need to get used to using "warm air" that is a little less pressurized to get that open, relaxed tone a euphonium should have. Your endurance might suffer in some contexts. However, I find that really coming out in the upper register is easier on euphonium. Slurring over intervals takes a bit more focus on euphonium, but is not exactly harder - just different.

Your mileage may vary!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium