Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbocaner
    • May 2009

It's also very helpful if the inner and outer tubes are truly parallel. Lots of brand new high-end instruments are parallel and aligned enough so that they are usable, but not good enough that they will work smoothly once lapped like this.
    --
    Barry

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Sara Hood View Post
      "Chris Olka is an excellent example of playing a tuba with these strings." (RickF)

I think I am jealous of how effortless and smooth his slides seem to work. It barely seems that he is pushing or pulling on them at all. I wonder what his secret, and choice of lube, is.
      - Sara
      Pretty sure Mr. Olka uses Resilience Oil products. Probably the 'kicker slide' lube.
      See his review of Resilience Oil from Sept. 2018.
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Will
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
        Marzan (Willson) also have a 4-valve front-valve compensating euphonium, similar to the Festivo. They have upright bells. I think Besson actually made a similar horn for a while, and offered a curved bell (not sure, though).
        I posted about this a few years ago. My daughter became quite used to using front action 3v piston horns (both upright and forward bell) in middle school. I wanted to get her a 4v horn for high school. She was quite adament about having front action valves in a 4v. Being neither able to find nor afford the Wilson, I located a King 2268 at Baltimore Brass. It is 4v, non-compensating, bel up. At the time, they had 2 and she play tested and selected her favorite. It is very light but has a nice tone.
        Weril H980 euph
        Besson 4v comp euph 314xxx
        Besson 3v comp euph 455xxx
        King 3v bari. 20xxx
        King 4v double-bell euph 50xxx
        Conn 5v double-bell euph 355xxx
        Buescher 3+1 double-bell euph 285xxx
        Olds bell-front 3v bari
        Holton alto horn
        Holton 3v tuba
        Belleville Helicon
        Some of the performances of the Mid-Shore Community Band: