Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 + 1 vs. 4 Inline (valves)

I played an euphonium with the four valves in line for twenty years and I didn't have any particular problems. Now, since 2007, I play on 3+1 euph: it took me a few months to synchronize the two hands, but then I must say that the latter is certainly better ( ring finger and little finger are activated together). I happened to play again on 4 in line rush and old habit was automatically returned. If you do the reverse passage ( from 3+1 to 4 ) you can safely operate the 4th valve with the index finger of your left hand.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    3+1 tubas rule in the brass band world. So do players with long arms...

DG
    Should I ever get a tuba, I will most likely look for a 3+1. Question is... Eb or Bb. I also play guitar and electric bass, and while I've tried very hard to build up my pinky, even my teacher says it's really only good for chords and as part of a run. Trills, bends, etc are not really pinky friendly, and farther up the neck for melodic lines, often the pinky is omitted.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Bb tubas play in more places.

DG

You mean like more places in the music? Or more shady places like bars, parties, bandas, etc?
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Why, the latter, of course!

Ha!

DG

I own, and use a Besson NS 3+1, along with a Hirsbrunner. However, my preference, if I'm just doing simple band music, or marches, is to reach for the 321. While the horn is an inline 4, one can elect to play the 4th valve with the left hand index finger. Several talented musicians have played the 321, and I've seen Dee Stewart do it over the years, flawlessly.

Factoring in medical concerns, the 321 just takes less work to play, versus my other 3+1's.

I've also got the biggest pair of hands on this forum. So that inline 4th valve isn't a problem. We all come in very different shapes and sizes, and the horn market is rich and diverse with options. And a good tech can make any configuration suitable.

Markmc611,

One thing that probably enters into it for your comparison is that the 321 has a .570" bore, vs. more other horns today (in the 3+1 realm) that have .592. Even the older Bessons had a .580. (The old American horns were about .560.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Markmc611,

One thing that probably enters into it for your comparison is that the 321 has a .570" bore, vs. more other horns today (in the 3+1 realm) that have .592. Even the older Bessons had a .580. (The old American horns were about .560.)
    I realized that at the moment I posted. But I wasn't quite sure about the Besson. Thanks for making that clear, Dave.

"Because back in the day, a guy named Blaikley was the first one to put it into use in horn construction. (I would love to have a year on this innovation, by the way.)"

David Blaikley of Boosey & Co. invented the compensated euphonium in 1874 and the patent did not expire until the 1970's, which is why only Besson had a compensated euphonium until after the patent expired.

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    If you do the reverse passage ( from 3+1 to 4 ) you can safely operate the 4th valve with the index finger of your left hand.
    I did that when my main euph was under maintenance and I got a 4-inline Yamaha clone as a borrowing instrument until it was finished... my entire posture went to hell because of the unnatural position of the left hand, because suddenly the part of my body that carried the most amount of weight was in a position where it couldn't carry that weight anymore. Left hand and shoulder cramped up, position of my euph was terrible, etc. Never gonna try that again xD

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast