Thread: 3 + 1 vs. 4 Inline (valves)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

3 + 1 vs. 4 Inline (valves)

This is a brand question, or I think that at least part of it is.

Euphoniums tend to come in two flavors. The valves are arranged in a 3 + 1 configuration, or in a 4 inline configuration. I have seen that some manufacturers produce horns in both styles. I was wondering what is the difference and why. Four inline valves do not tend to be compensating horns. In my understanding, the fourth valve functions much like the extra tubing in a compensating horn. So how did we end up with these two fraternal twin constructions of the euphonium?

When I played in high school, the school lent me a silver Yamaha 321. The 4 inline horn was all I knew. When I learned about the 3 + 1 configuration, I thought that perhaps the 4 inline valve set was a Yamaha innovation. I have since seen it in many other horn brands. Which manufacturer started putting all the valves all together at the right hand (and when)? What are the advantages and disadvantages of building a horn this way?

And now for the contentious opinion questions. Which is better (3 + 1 vs. 4 inline)? Why do you think so? Which do you prefer?

- Sara
    Last edited by Sara Hood; 07-20-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: for clarity
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240