Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Metal Thickness

Hello Franz da Varese, do you, or anyone else gathered around this fine euphoholic watering hole, know what the bell thickness of the Miraphone M5050 might be? ... I play-tested M5050 at ITEC 2019, and promptly fell in love with it... Besson Prestige and Adams E3 0.70 YB being my close seconds favorites ex equo.

Saluti, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello Franz da Varese, do you, or anyone else gathered around this fine euphoholic watering hole, know what the bell thickness of the Miraphone M5050 might be? ... I play-tested M5050 at ITEC 2019, and promptly fell in love with it... Besson Prestige and Adams E3 0.70 YB being my close seconds favorites ex equo.

Saluti, Guido

No, I'm sorry, I don't know the thickness of the Miraphone: the sample I tested in 2012 I liked very much, it had,among other things, a wonderful easy natural high B.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    Off course, the high B has been a problematic note to be obtained with certainly on the Prestige, but working on it with the right mouthpiece now comes out beautifully and in tune. It is not a note that is easily found in euphoniums scores, but when it happens you need to be ready and sure not to take a stick. Sometimes certain notes are difficult to obtain because they are rarely played: the instrument is never played on same partials, for example on alternative positions, and the rare times that they are used have a sound worse than that obtained with conventional positions. Sometimes I hold the 4th valve pressed an play with an instrument in F. The first few times is a bit strange, but then it becomes automatic to correct the pitch with the chops and also the sound and the instrument improves gradually that the partials are emitted in the new positions. Try and tell me if this statement can be shared.
    Well, on both of my Besson Prestige euphoniums, I definitely "took a stick" when I tried to play a high B natural. The Miraphone M5050 plays it beautifully. My Adams plays it very nice, not 100% perfect, but about 95% fine. I do try and use various fingerings with that note and others up high.

I am not quite sure what you mean by "Try and tell me if this statement can be shared".

By the way, Franz, my wife Linda's mother was born and raised in Trieste, Italy. She married Linda's father after World War II. Linda's father was an Army soldier and met her mother after the war.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post

Saluti, Guido
    I’ll measure my 5050 in the next couple of days.

Don

Thank you so much djwpE... Very much looking forward!

Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

6. I have an Adams E1 with a sterling silver bell and .55 metal thickness. It has a brighter sound than my Sterling Virtuoso that I attribute rightly or wrongly to the metal thickness...although the sterling silver bell is undoubtedly a factor as well.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

I finally got around to getting out my micrometer and I tried to measure the metal thickness on my 5050. Alas, there is no flat surface for the anvil of the micrometer to bear on, so the measurement is useless.

I do do own an ultrasonic thickness gauge, so I’ll try that, but I suspect the plating may make it inaccurate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123