For sale is a three valve top action Martin euphonium with an 11 5/8” upright bell. The serial number is 147XX, which puts the date of manufacture pre-1919. The instrument is in excellent condition—the original silverplating is mostly intact, there are no major dents, all of the tuning slides are free, and the valves seal well with very smooth, light action.

Pictures are available here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...GpywZhppcLHazr

There are two characteristics of Martin euphoniums that set them apart from other older American euphoniums. First, they are physically larger, especially in the outer branch and bottom bow, than even a modern compensating euphonium. I’ve included a picture of this instrument from when I first received it, next to a Besson euphonium for comparison, at the link above. You’ll see that the Martin is taller, wider, and “thicker” throughout. This gives the instrument a much bigger, broader tone than other American euphoniums, one that blends well even with modern compensating instruments. The second unique characteristic of Martin euphoniums is that they have usable “false tones,” much like older American tubas often do—there is an additional “partial” in the low register, starting on “low E-flat.” Because of this the instrument has a fully chromatic range, even without a fourth valve.

This particular instrument has been improved in a number of ways:
-The original small shank leadpipe has been replaced with a brand-new Besson Prestige leadpipe and Sovereign large shank receiver. This opened up the blow and sound of the instrument considerably, and allows the use of modern euphonium mouthpieces.
-It has been fitted with a custom-made, adjustable tuning trigger that when depressed raises the pitch. The upper register intonation is of this horn is excellent, but there are several flat notes in the lower register that this trigger fixes. When the trigger is used, it can be played well in tune over the same range as a four-valve compensating instrument.
-The original metal valve guides have been replaced with nylon guides, and the valves now function very quietly.
-The valves have been precision aligned using rubber O-rings.
-The right-hand thumb ring has been repositioned to be more comfortable, and more familiar for users of modern compensating instruments.

The euphonium comes with the original case, which is still structurally sound and in decent shape internally and externally. I’ve modified it slightly to fit the new leadpipe.

Asking $800. I’m located in the greater Roanoke, VA area. I’m willing to drive to meet for the sale, and I’m also willing to ship at actual cost.

Please email me at funkhoss@gmail.com with any questions.

Thanks!

-Funkhoss