Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium - Just picked up

The one word I use to describe my Sterling's sound is "rich"... that about sums it up for me. I've had several Bessons and always considered them to have exactly the sound I was looking for, but the Sterling has eclipsed them all, and some other short term additions to the stable as well.
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

2. Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    The one word I use to describe my Sterling's sound is "rich"... that about sums it up for me. I've had several Bessons and always considered them to have exactly the sound I was looking for, but the Sterling has eclipsed them all, and some other short term additions to the stable as well.
    I hear similar comments from band and audience members when I solo on my Sterling. It has a very warm and rich tone that I could never get from my Besson Sovereign 967.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Sounds like I've got a lot to live up to with this horn. Definitely a keeper. Going to give it the old top to bottom cleaning soon. I also need to figure out what to do about keeping it shiny, as all my other instruments are lacquered. I also need to take some pictures.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Looking forward to the pictures... congrats on a stellar find!
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Looking forward to the pictures... congrats on a stellar find!
    Working on it! The case is something else. I mean, it does work, fits the horn well, and is padded, but its half covered in tape, and the internal compartment has been removed. I have considered making one with some wood and replacing it, as the screws that held it in placed are still there.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Congratulations and enjoy!

7. Enjoy the Sterling!

My Baritone horn is an early Sterling (pre virtuoso, probably late 80’s, round mother if pearl buttons, solid, and quite heavy to hold compared to my bandmate’s
    Besson ) but it’s got a lovely rich sound esp in the upper register.

When I got mine it was pretty battered and needed some things doing to it but the valve quality is streets ahead of my student euph, and it is well constructed so it “serviced up” really nicely, and I love it. it lumps into the “kinda like a besson soverign” category but having played both I actually prefer the Sterling.

In the UK there are now a lot of “John Packer Sterlings” which are cheaper instruments (JP model with input from Sterling founder) , but the original Sterling brand had no student models: every instrument is a good quality compensating pro level horn. and as Dave said above, there don’t seem to be many so they’re a bit off the beaten track, well done for getting one and hope you keep enjoying it.

Still working on the pictures. Just gonna do my usual "clean and lubricate everything" process, so that's 8 valve slides and one tuning slide, and 4 valves to worry about. Then gonna polish it up just a bit, though it's still mostly shiny. Just a great instrument.

Now if only the case looked as nice. It's a nice case, but it's held together by tape, and the compartment inside was torn out.

Finally got pictures, because I'm lazy. It's definitely been used a bit, and if I go by the sticker on the somewhat destroyed case, a previous owner used it in the Junior South Jersey Band, which would have probably been 7th or 8th grade. Man I wish I had been allowed year pro-level instruments when I was that age, but I probably would have destroyed them. Thankfully this one was not destroyed. Except for the case:

Here it is in the case. The compartment in the case unfortunately is not there, so no convenient place to stow mouthpiece, wipe down cloth, etc. I'm considering whether to "rebuild" one, as the anchor screws are still there. Here's the front and back photos:

Here's the main tuning slide, which looks like it may have taken a hit at some time, though the slide itself is also "warped" like this.

The 4th valve cap has cork, where one would usually expect to see some type of mother of pearl or acrylic material:

And, this brace may be bent? The horn works fine though, so there's not really any reason to consider this an "issue".

I'm right now working mainly on getting my fingerings from the high school days back in my brain, and really figuring out where I want the valve tuning slides set. I'm not used to having to worry about so many slides, or not being able to just manually adjust things easily.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast