Thread: Church Service Participation #4 - July 7 2019

Church Service Participation #4 - July 7 2019

I played last Sunday in church, which was a little bit of a challenge. I had been away from the horn entirely for the first half of the week of July 4, and had been sick out of action for much of the two weeks before. But I had 3 days to get my chops back in shape and the result was not too bad. The pianist was sick that day, but is a real trooper and did a great job. The headings below are snippets from the bulletin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July7Prelude.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	7026

I have played this before, so it did not require a lot of practice. This piece from the Sparke "Classic Hymns" book is especially good for a prelude. It's about 3:30 in length and is busy enough to get the attention of people coming in. The Sparke book is available at this links (piano and euphonium parts have to each be purchased).
    Euphonium (bass and treble clef included):
    https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...1?aff_id=15680
    Piano
    http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/...3?aff_id=15680

Name:	July7Offering.png 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	7027

I had just played this at ITEC, but that was on baritone horn. This reminded me how different it is to play on each of those horns! It is my own arrangement, which is available here:
    https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...6?aff_id=15680

Name:	July7Postlude.png 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	7028

This is the first time I've played this piece. It is one of a couple euphonium solo books given to me as a gift by Toru Miura when I did my Japan recital tour in 1991. Most arrangements were done by Yasuhide Ito (although I had to get help to decipher some of the Japanese characters, so I can't be totally sure). The book is available here:
    https://bravomusicinc.com/solo-c-3_1...ns-p-3237.html

Last edited by davewerden; 07-24-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Very nice, David!! I liked all three of the pieces. The final one is pretty ripping. I especially enjoyed the flair and style of the piano player, who had a pretty good part in the Rossini piece. For being sick, he did just fine. And your layoff and illness did not noticeably impact your usual fine playing at all. It is nice that the congregation stayed around for the final piece. Sometimes, in some churches, the congregation is out the door and on their way to Krispy Kreme at the final amen, and if you have a postlude, you end up playing it for yourself, your accompanist and the janitor.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks, John! Brian is quite a good piano (and organ) player, so he had a little margin to work with, I suppose. He emailed me later and said it was a good thing we didn't have to play in the afternoon, because he was pretty much done for.

Post-service we have a pretty good bunch who hang around for the postlude, but of course many also depart. Brian has dependably chosen good postludes when he is playing, and guest artists also usually have good material. I think we are "training" people gradually to hang out for a few minutes.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Dave great job on the Love Divine, All Love's Excelling. I played a duet arrangement on bass trombone with another young bass trombonist for offertory on this tune-- Hyfrydol- this morning from a set or duets you recommended, if my memory is correct. Was a nice simple arrangement.

Interesting that the tune is connected with that hymn title. I've always sung that hymn tune to another set of lyrics-- [B]Jesus, What a Friend of Sinners[/B]-- and sung Love Divine
    All Love, Excelling
    to a different tune. Maybe because I'm a Presbyterian and not a Lutheran or Anglican.

BTW, i tried to open up the link to the sheet music for purchase and it wouldn't open for either the solo part or the piano part. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Thanks for the hymn trivia! I know some hymns that have 3 titles.

I fixed the links for the Sparke pieces - not sure what went wrong the first time!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

The old Scottish split leaf Psalters used to all be in common meter and they switched tunes and texts around all the time. Perhaps the most familiar one is Old Hundreth, the Louis Borgeois tune connected with Psalm 100, but most know today as the tune for the Doxology. As a retired minister, I've done supply preaching in some exclusive psalm singing churches-- there are a still a few of them around-- and one of the members jokingly commented that someone told them that they sang one of their psalms to Amazing Grace, but he smiled and reminded me that the tune was really New Britain and that Amazing Grace simply shared that tune with one of their Psalm settings.

BTW, link is now working. Thanks for fixing it. The book looks like a nice collection.