Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Adams Red Brass vs. Sterling Silver bell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkircoff
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Jim, do you have a preference for one or the other bell material?
    In my case there is a learning curve with the sterling silver bell, and for solo work I need to work on methods to utilize the material to take advantage of its qualities. I've been maining my red brass bell Sterling euphnonium for years, and I know how to make it "sing" the way I want to intuitively. The sterlng silver bell Adams is a more recent pickup, and I need to spend more time learning its intricacies.

Which bell material I'd prefer likely depends on environment. For brass band, I thnk the red brass bell Sterling is a better choice at the moment, wind ensembles it's a wash, and for solo work it depends on the piece and the sound I'm looking for.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

• Sara Hood
      • Mar 2017

Spkissane - Aha! I thought that it looked like Wessex's "baby euphonium." Interesting looking. I found the youtube sound clips to hear what it sounded like.

In any case, best of luck with the new Adams too. And of course we want pictures/recordings, when you can (smile).
      - Sara
      Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Comment

• Arnbone Euph
        • Jan 2019

I agree placing any euphonium on its bell is not a good practice and yet I see videos of Matt Tropman doing it all the time. And I believe that's with a sterling silver bell E1. Yikes. My seat mate at our tree lighting concert last night had his tuba in his lap, a slight slip allowing it to bang an adjacent chair in our very tight seating, and he got a goose-egg sized dent in his beloved tuba. One can never be too careful.
        Arnold (Arnie) Williams
        Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
        Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
        Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
        Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
        Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
        Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Comment

Working...
        X