Thread: Case for Wm. Frank Euphonium/Baritone

1. Case for Wm. Frank Euphonium/Baritone

Hi all,

I purchased an old (Wm. Frank "Classic", serial no. 6886 puts it in the early 1930s) small bore Baritone/Euphonium at a yard sale a few years back and it's been sitting in bubblewrap in a box since then--it plays pretty well (only needed to oil the valves) but it didn't come with a case. My dilemma is this: is it a baritone or euphonium, and more importantly what case will fit it? It's a bell-upward horn, but the valves are on the front; while the average gig bag would probably work, are there any hardshell/polyfoam cases that would fit a horn like this? I avoid gig bags if I can help it. I've also attached this photo for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1489.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	7021

Dimensions:
    Bell: 11.25" diameter
    Bottom bow to bell: approx. 28"
    Width near valve casing: approx. 12"

Does anyone else have a horn like this (bell up, valves on front)? Any help is appreciated; I'd like to have a good case for it before bringing it in for an ultrasonic cleaning.

That's gonna be tough. The best way with a non-standard horn would always be to take it in and try it out in various cases. Most euphonium "cases" are gig bags, unless you want to go for an MTS or something similar. However, doing that without knowing if it fits is always a risk, and the shipping is expensive.

It does seem to be "about" the same size as a regular euphonium/baritone. U.S. instrument makers didn't really make that type of distinction in many cases. It looks to be conical bore, which would make it a euphonium.

What's your budget for a case?
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

3. Thanks! I figured so because of the more gradual taper to the bore. At this point I'd like to keep it under $200 or so (I know there aren't many options in that range) though I'd still entertain recommendations at (almost) any price. Problem is there aren't really any big music stores in my area that would have a variety of euphonium cases in stock, otherwise I would have just taken it in.

The other thing would be to have a case custom-made for the horn but that's also expensive. With euphonium being about fourth or fifth down on my list of band instruments I play (behind all saxes, Bb and contrabass clarinets, trombone, and French horn), some bubblewrap in a cardboard box protects it well enough at home for the time being. I'd just like to have a case to transport it in.
    Last edited by MarksInstruments; 08-10-2019 at 08:06 PM.