Thread: Picking a major in college

Picking a major in college

Hello y'all! Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, but i think its here.

So, I am going into college next year and I have some schools picked out, but there is one nagging nuance with this process: picking a major. I want to go into music, but I have no clue as to what major I should pick, especially between a degree in Music and Music Performance. My main question here is what is the difference between a degree in Music compared to Music Ed and Music Preformance?

I realize this is a somewhat broad question, but any help or insight on the topic would be of greatest help.

Thanks,
    Amaan

If you want to teach, the Ed degree may provide some extra courses you'll find useful. Mine did. Performance degrees are not inherently more valuable after you graduate. Any playing gig you get will be mostly dependent on how well you play an audition.

Have you looked at your course catalog to see the difference in requirements?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I have but is look like a confusing mess to me. As for what I want to do, I mainly want to play and preform and teach on the side. I,ll look more into the courses page, but any insight on that would be wonderful.
    Kennesaw State - Music Performance

Yamaha YSL-200AD/Marcinkiewicz Jiggs Whigham
    Wilson 2900/Wick SM3MU
    MW 2250/ Icon 18 (School Horn)
    MW 5450/PT 50 (School horn)