Thread: New England Brass Band - Low Brass

1. New England Brass Band - Low Brass

Vacancies:

New England Brass Band (NEBB), the region's premier British-style brass band, has vacancies for the 2019-2020 season. The band rehearses weekly, on Monday evenings in Wilmington, MA, starting September 16. In the last two seasons, we have completed 32 concert performances, recorded a new CD, and attended the NABBA competition. We are planning for a busy season again in the coming year. Openings are for:

Solo Euphonium. Requires accomplished player for demanding repertoire. Should be comfortable as a featured soloist. Must read Bb treble clef.

Percussionist with strong mallet skills.

Eb Tuba. Must read Eb treble clef. NEBB can provide an instrument.

This greater Boston, MA area band is directed by the renowned Stephen Bulla and rehearses not far from the major music schools of the region. Membership is drawn from Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.

Last edited by daruby; 06-15-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Sure wish I was living in your neck of the woods. I would be incredibly interested in trying out for this!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

3. Just wanted to let you all know that the trombone position has been filled. Still looking for solo euphonium, Eb tuba, and mallet percussionist.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

4. Indeed - the New England Brass Band is a excellent organization that put on a wonderful performance at NABBA this year. I'd happily audition for an open position, but I live in Michigan which would result in a wee bit of a long drive!
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

5. Quote Originally Posted by jkircoff View Post
    Indeed - the New England Brass Band is a excellent organization that put on a wonderful performance at NABBA this year. I'd happily audition for an open position, but I live in Michigan which would result in a wee bit of a long drive!
    James, thank you very much. I have been a member on 1st baritone now for 10 years. I am just finishing a 5 year tenure as Treasurer and reverting back to my former position as librarian. This band is a great deal of fun and a serious commitment to great musicianship.

Everyone needs to spruce up their transposing treble-clef chops, though!
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

6. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    James, thank you very much. I have been a member on 1st baritone now for 10 years. I am just finishing a 5 year tenure as Treasurer and reverting back to my former position as librarian. This band is a great deal of fun and a serious commitment to great musicianship.

Everyone needs to spruce up their transposing treble-clef chops, though!
    Awesome! I've been 1st baritone with the Capital City Brass Band for a couple of years, and I've been its president since the summer of 2018 (my term ends in summer of 2020). We did serious preparation for NABBA this year -- including working with the wonderful Ken Kroesche who is the director of the Oakland University Brass Band which competed in NABBA's first section this year -- and we were very excited to see our work recognized with our section section championship! I was aware that New England took issue with some of the scores it received -- hopefully you received an explanation / resolution that was acceptable.

Brass banding is demanding and requires a serious commitment to musical excellence, yet it is very enjoyable and has built lasting relationships throughout the band along with other brass enthusiasts. It also forces bass clefers such as myself to become proficient reading treble clef as you noted!
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

7. Quote Originally Posted by jkircoff View Post
    I was aware that New England took issue with some of the scores it received -- hopefully you received an explanation / resolution that was acceptable.
    Sorry that you were aware of this. In the interests of keeping a positive outlook with NABBA moving forward, I have no more to say, other than I was happy to see Capital City do so well and believe you deserved everything you achieved. BTW, we got some help as well in the form of a 2 hour Sunday afternoon rehearsal with Bramwell Tovey a week or two prior to the competition. It showed in our understanding of the test piece!
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

8. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Sorry that you were aware of this. In the interests of keeping a positive outlook with NABBA moving forward, I have no more to say, other than I was happy to see Capital City do so well and believe you deserved everything you achieved. BTW, we got some help as well in the form of a 2 hour Sunday afternoon rehearsal with Bramwell Tovey a week or two prior to the competition. It showed in our understanding of the test piece!
    I found out via New England Brass Band's Facebook page shortly after NABBA concluded. There was also some chatter about it on NABBA's own Facebook page. The first section had a lot of issues with scoring and points being taken away due to time issues that weren't clearly laid out before the competition began. Hopefully NABBA will clean these issues up for 2020.

Thanks for the kind words about Capital City. We were not expecting to win -- just do the best we could and possibly place in the top half. I think a lot of how bands place has to do with which judges you end up getting along with what time you end up playing. We played after the lunch break for judges who generally speaking liked what we did. We caught some flak from one of the judges for our choice piece not being "difficult" enough, which is a risk we took since we wanted to spend most of our rehearsal time working on Coventry Variations.
    James Kircoff