Thread: Lignatone Bb tuba, anyone ?!?

Lignatone Bb tuba, anyone ?!?

Hello -
    I am new to the forum. First and foremost I am a piano player, but I play a little tuba on the side, a rank amateur. I have two tubas, a Besson New Standard compensating Eb tuba from a round 1975 (according to serial number), and a Czech made Lignatone Bb with three valves, non compensating.

Whereas the Besson is a quality instrument, the Lignatone is quite bad, and made from soft, weak brass which is very easily dented. I don't know its age, but it was 'Made in Czechoslovakia', so at least 30 years or older. Probably older... The sound is fair enough, but no more.

My question is; does anyone know anything at all about this brand? It seems to be an inexpensive entry level instrument, but I am just curious.

2. Lignatone was a stencil brand of the Amati/Denak company. It was used mostly for instruments destined for the export market during the Communist era in Czechoslovakia. The Lignatone label appeared on everything from violins and guitars through a full range of band instruments. If your horn has piston valves it was likely made by Amati. If it has rotaries, it’s probably made by Cerveny.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Lignatone was a stencil brand of the Amati/Denak company. It was used mostly for instruments destined for the export market during the Communist era in Czechoslovakia. The Lignatone label appeared on everything from violins and guitars through a full range of band instruments. If your horn has piston valves it was likely made by Amati. If it has rotaries, it’s probably made by Cerveny.
    Thank you...then mine is by Amati. That makes sense. I have played other Amatis, and they were not really the best.