Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wiseman Carbon Fiber Cases

That really sounds like a great solution. Even something that fit a Bonna case inside would work well.

I actually looked into having a trunk style road case made for my Bonna case to fit inside. It was quoted at about $600, and the external dimensions add up to just under 80”, which is the maximum many airlines will allow as oversize baggage.

Upside: you just put your case inside this trunk for travel and leave it in the hotel when doing your thing locally.

Downside: oversize baggage fee ($50 on southwest last I checked). This is way less than buying an extra seat on the plane though, which is how I’ve traveled when taking my horn in the past.

All things being as they are, I’m not sure I would go this route again.

One last thing - the flight jacket is kind of hard to work with and secures with Velcro. We’ll see how well that works out!

I’ll update after this week when I’ve done both legs of my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Thanks, I'll certainly do so if I get close to buying one.

I've actually bounced a suggestion off Wiseman for what I think would be the ideal solution. Since so many pros and other serious players buy the Cronkhite cases, what I think might be a viable product is an empty carbon fiber shell that just fits a Cronkhite bag inside. Once would check that as luggage, with the horn in the bag in the CF case. Then at the destination, the CF case could stay in the hotel/whatever and the bag alone would do the work for the duration of the stay. Haven't heard a response, though.
    Last edited by miketeachesclass; 01-25-2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammar

He looks beautiful. If they really do everything for each instrument individually, I will need it later, thank you for the information about them.

Well, I'm back. The horn held up, and the case held up. No trouble with the trigger/main tuning slide, valves, etc.

That said, I did get a bell wrinkle, but I THINK that's because I absent mindedly left my mead travel practice mute in the bell of my horn, and it came loose in transit (the bell of th ehorn does not contact the end of the case); I probably should have known better.

I'll show some photos later, and I'll accept all second opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    That really sounds like a great solution. Even something that fit a Bonna case inside would work well.

I actually looked into having a trunk style road case made for my Bonna case to fit inside. It was quoted at about $600, and the external dimensions add up to just under 80”, which is the maximum many airlines will allow as oversize baggage.

Upside: you just put your case inside this trunk for travel and leave it in the hotel when doing your thing locally.

Downside: oversize baggage fee ($50 on southwest last I checked). This is way less than buying an extra seat on the plane though, which is how I’ve traveled when taking my horn in the past.

All things being as they are, I’m not sure I would go this route again.

One last thing - the flight jacket is kind of hard to work with and secures with Velcro. We’ll see how well that works out!

I’ll update after this week when I’ve done both legs of my trip.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123