Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Doubling on Bass Trombone and Euphonium (Mouthpieces)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghmerrill
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by adrian_quince View Post
    Tony is a very smart and accomplished musician and teacher. He almost certainly has a reason for advising you the way he did. If it's something you're not trusting yet, it's worth a further conversation with him.
    Absolutely. This changes the situation from generic advice offered by a "music teacher" to specific advice from an experienced low brass professional to a particular student. To me it means that he's not suggesting that you NEVER move to doubling on bass trombone, but that AT THE MOMENT your progress in developing your skills would be deterred by doing that. I'd listen to him and delay changes for the time being.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• flotrb
      • Jan 2013

As a professional low brass doubler for 50+ years, I have had my share of "experiences" with doubling issues. My college professor said to me: "Find a mouthpiece that works for you on that horn...then wield it into the leadpipe." Being a low brass doubler for many B'dway shows through the years, I have found that the "right tool" for the job...is exactly what the part says it is! Playing a typical walking bass trombone passage for 12 meas....2 meas. rest, put bass trb down, pick up tenor and play lead over saxes, starting on "G" above middle "C" and going up to high "D". I have found that my King SS 3B w/VB 6½AL mpc, Bach Soloist 210 w/VB 4G, and King Duo Gravis SS w/VB Mt.Vernon 1½G, Jin Bao Eb tuba w/Wick 3L give me the "typical B'way" sounds for each particular style that is required in the part.

I agree with the concept of your embouchure being formed before the rim gets there, because there is very little time, in 2 meas., as your tenor comes flying toward your chops at Mach 1, to think about anything other than "nailing" that trombone lead line, 2 meas. after that "a la George Roberts" bass bone phrase you just laid down. Sometimes there are five or more horn changes in 1 chart. I just finished Disney's "Aladdin", tenor trb: E below the staff to Bb above middle C, bass trb: pedal F# to Gb above middle C. Now that, is a real trombone dance! Oh, yeah, how about "The Lion King": bass trb/tuba double...bass trb pedals driving "The Stampede" and tuba, with a pedal C "fart" at the end of "Hakuna Matata".
      Last edited by flotrb; 10-08-2020, 04:08 PM.
      flotrb

Доверяй, но проверяй
      (Trust, but verify)

Comment

Working...
      X