Thread: Playing in my first outdoor concert in 55 years tonight.

Playing in my first outdoor concert in 55 years tonight.

.......and not feeling “too old”.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Good for you!! I hope it goes swell!! Let us all know about it, what you played, how the audience liked it, how you felt!! Nothing like making music!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Break a leg! Sounds very exciting indeed
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

When I went down that road a few years back, there was a tangible thrill both beforehand with the downbeat, and afterward with the applause.

Truly one of life's little pleasures. You've earned it.

Playing concerts today still feels great, so keep at it, Ann.

DG

How did the concert go, Ann? It was fun to read your post and think about the rush of playing your concert after a long break!

I like the 2-sided aspect of this, also. As musicians, we appreciate the pure fun of playing, and we know there are benefits to our health as well. Here is an example of the latter:

http://www.dwerden.com/eu-articles-l...evelopment.cfm

But the other side of this is the benefit to the audience. There are provable benefits for the people who listen to and enjoy music. Win-win!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

It was a fine evening for me. The conductor was pleased with our performance and we had out three euphoniums, a massive tuba, three trombones and a French Horn.
    There were 2 missed starts, one of which came from the tuba, but at rehearsal the week before, the others were missing, and since I played the part correctly by myself, I didn’t have to assume responsibility.
    We were playing inside, so I did not wind up consuming any 6 legged protein.

My lesson was Friday, and I still can’t get over how lucky I am that this teacher has taken me on as a student. We spend the entire hour on fundamentals of technique, PRECISELY what I want to be doing. I told him in my first lesson that I didn’t want him to be nice, and I’m delighted to report - HE ISN’T!

I will need to replace my Tupperware Euphonium soon, and as luck would have it, i’ll be able to borrow a 3/4 tuba for the summer, a real break for me. I’m really enjoying playing the euphonium in the band, but I think ultimately I’ll get farther with tuba as an ensemble instrument, my end goal.

I played at a Memorial Day Ceremony yesterday, the first since 1962, and practiced for about 1 1/2 hours today. Enjoyed every minute of each!

I took my second lesson today with a teacher whom I am grateful to have found. He is demanding, exacting and very clear in what he expects. Since I know what I want from my lessons, his approach is perfect for me.

I have been mulling over what I should be doing to achieve the maximum results for my efforts, and am leaning strongly toward tuba, because although I’m surprised by how much I'm drawn to euphonium, the finger technique is so much more intense than tuba finger technique that I think I’ll be taking the path of least resistance.

*coming out of lurker status*

Ann, I’m going off topic but I can’t shake this feeling that we’re sectionmates. In fact, I’m almost sure of it. Your location is East Coast so I’ll respect your privacy here and not mention a specific state. But by “tupperware euphonium”, you don’t mean a black coolwind do you?

- Katie

Here’s to many more concerts!
    Last edited by Kit15; 05-31-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    the finger technique is so much more intense than tuba finger technique that I think I’ll be taking the path of least resistance.
    There is a path of less resistance here, but it depends on what music you play. If you get into some semi-serious small group, quintet, or duet/trio/quartet work, you'll be wishing for the days of those shorter throw euphonium valves and faster response from the instrument, not to mention the range that may be required.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Do you plan on keeping your euph once you transition to the tuba? - she
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240