Thread: Great Experience at DF Music

1. Great Experience at DF Music

Hi all,

After speaking over the phone off and on for the last 1+ years, I finally got to meet Richard Galime at NABBA in Fort Wayne, IN. Richard is the new owner of DF Music in the Chicago area and was at NABBA showing several lines of brass band instruments, including JP Sterling, Smith-Watkins, and a new Besson 967S. At NABBA, we (New England Brass Band) arranged to pursue an evaluation of the JP Sterling tenor horn (JP372S) that he was showing. Our solo tenor horn player does not own a horn and has been playing a York YO-TH3050S horn (ca. 2007-2008) that needs to be returned to its owner.

Sure enough, within about a week after NABBA, the JP Sterling showed up at my door, well packed and in excellent condition. We were able to provide the horn to our solo player and have him evaluate the JP Sterling tenor horn against the York against the band's 1972 Sovereign "round stamp" BE950S just returned from another band member

In the end, even though the JP Sterling "looks" like a clone of the Sovereign, the choice was to hold on to the Sovereign and return the JP Sterling. No major issues, but our solo player preferred the 40 year old "Round" Stamp" horn. So I repacked the JP Sterling and returned it to Richard at DF Music, and it arrived at his doorstep this last Friday.

We had the horn for a whole month, but since we did not buy, we paid shipping in both directions (under $100 total). I am very pleased with DF Music's responsiveness and straightforward way of doing business. I fully expected to pay shipping in both directions and had no issue with that. Had we purchased the horn we would not have paid ANY shipping.

Richard was professional, responsive, easy to communicate with and answered his phone promptly. Again, I want to thank him for his support in our selection process.

Doug Ruby - Treasurer
    New England Brass Band
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Nice review Doug. Love reading stories like this. Hopefully this will get DF Music in Chicago more business.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)