Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Contemplating 1st purchase for our student son (Intermediate+ level player)

Congratulations on the purchase! Hope it will serve your son well for a long time!

Perhaps you did get lucky to find an instrument with very decent intonation! I kinda still wish I went for the Sterling JP374T, but too late for that now!

Do tell us how your son finds it after an extended time on it!
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

2. Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    Congratulations on the purchase! Hope it will serve your son well for a long time!

Perhaps you did get lucky to find an instrument with very decent intonation! I kinda still wish I went for the Sterling JP374T, but too late for that now!

Do tell us how your son finds it after an extended time on it!
    Hi Christian,

I sure will. I will most likely continue being a "lurker" on this site.
    Everyone's posts were so helpful, and there's a lot of fun reads and other useful information on here.

I certainly thought about springing for the "T" model. It would have only been several hundred dollars more, but I was $1300 or so ABOVE budget already.
    Having the trigger could have brought the instrument even closer to a Willson / Besson / Adams / Miraphone / Sterling Virtuoso, etc... but it did seem we may have gotten lucky enough with the intonation on this "base" model.

If there were intonation issues on the 374S, I believe we would have ended up purchasing the Wessex Dolce and calling it a day rather than spending more for the 374ST.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with this new Wessex model on the horizon! Sounds like it will be a major competitor to the JP Sterling series.

Best,
    Sheldon
    Last edited by EyeInSky; 07-05-2019 at 07:46 AM.

I was a vocal performance major in college, so euphonium was not my first, second, or third instrument.

Something I learned as a recorder player: when you get a new instrument, there is a "break-in" period. However, you are not breaking in the instrument, but rather breaking in yourself to the instrument. You are gradually adjusting yourself to its subtleties and ideosyncracies.

So when we find an instrument that "fits," it is less the quality of materials, workmanship, or nation of origin that are the issues, but rather our own predisposition to that particular collection of factors at that particular time.

4. OK, My questions are a little different. Is he going to study in college? If not fine. If so with who? And what are their recommendations?
    Last edited by davewerden; 07-22-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Trimmed questions to only those appropriate for public broadcast.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789