Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Contemplating 1st purchase for our student son (Intermediate+ level player)

When I leave my horns in their case but with the lid opened on my room, in line with my window, it does tarnish with a yellow-brownish colour over time. As in, a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Probably the effect that sunlight has by warming up the metal and reacting slowly with the water in the air. This does not happen when I put a towel over the instrument.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

2. Quote Originally Posted by John the Theologian View Post
    Let me question one of the comments in the initial fine overview of the various horns. I have played a silver plated Mack Brass for about 5 years and I have seen no evidence of worn sliver plating. Granted, I usually only play my euphonium about 3 times a week, except for the summer community band season. Most of the year, I play one of trombones more frequently.

However, I believe that I have played it enough that if plating was a serious issue, it would have shown up.
    I have never worn gloves, nor have I put any leather wrap on the hand brace, something I probably should do.
    Just my personal experience, I know, but I thought I should share it.
    Hello John,

Thanks for the compliments on the initial overview. Let me just state it was compiled from about 30 or so hours of online research across many different brands.
    What led to my concern about the silver plating rubbing off was from this YouTube review of the exact same horn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npX7IU3bDvs

... The comment occurs @ the 4:50 mark. I do like the sound on this horn quite a bit. He plays a nice tune at the end.

I'm still mulling over the MackBrass. The SUPER friendly $995 all-in price is quite tempting, and it looks like a decent instrument. Much better than the King & Jupiter non-compensating Euphoniums the schools have (schools should seriously consider these).
    I also assume this model uses the small shank mouthpiece (just like most Yamahas)? If that's the case I would imagine the Wick 4AL everyone talks about would be out of the question.
    Last edited by EyeInSky; 05-25-2019 at 10:16 AM.

I'm almost certain that Mack would use a large shank mouthpiece.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Hi Sheldon. Welcome to the forum.

I can comment on the YEP641 as I played one for 12 years or more. Mine is currently on long-term loan to my grandson. The 641 is very well made with a 'one-piece' bell construction - which is different than many other models. It has a very focused tone due to its 11" bell. Yamaha horns are well made and durable. The sixth partials (high Eb, E and F concert) can be pretty sharp but most euphoniums have the same or similar sharpness. You can usually deal with this using alternate fingerings or by lipping the notes down some. The $4000 price tag does seem a bit high to me. A section mate of mine recently bought a nearly perfect used Yamaha 642 for $3500. If you're interested in the 641 maybe make the seller an offer.

Good luck in finding an excellent horn for your son.
    Hey there Rick!

I appreciate the input about the fair price for a YEP641. I would definitely feel much more comfortable with $3500 over $4 grand.
    I inquired about the instrument to see if we could drive down next week, but have since discovered it was sold.
    I guess fate is helping make this decision, but your experience of a near mint price really helped solidify that $4k as not only out of my price range but was also asking a bit too much.

My son also mentioned that small bore mouthpieces are easier to play. Do you also find this to be true, or is it mostly a situation with novice players?

I've not played on a small shank mpc since H.S. back in early to mid 60s. Then I didn't play for 33 years due to work and family. When I got back into playing I got the Yamaha 641 pretty quickly - which is large shank.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Sheldon!

JP Sterling and JP are separate lines as far as I know. The "Sterling" designation indicates that Paul Riggett of Sterling Musical Instruments in England has had a hand in design and also production methods. The JP Sterling has had some good reports here and elsewhere, but they are higher priced than Wessex. Perhaps some of the members here have insights into the "plain JP" line.

I saw the Matonis video comparison, and I find it quite flawed. Watch his finger action closely as he compares the valves. There is a big difference in the speed/force used, which by itself can account for extra noise on any horn. Not saying it was intentional, but it leaves the video useless in that regard.

I consider a Yamaha 641 a pro-level horn that is made well, plays well, and has been proven in the field. You might find it not quite as smooth and even from note to note as, for example, a Wessex, but I'm not sure about that.
    Hello,

Thanks for the Paul Riggett name! How funny I said "some U.K. brass guru" and all I had to do was re-read the first response you gave (my apologies - lol).
    Also thanks for the comment about Matonizz's valve noise comparison. For a quick reminder, below is the video (FF @ the 14:50 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OSpMLgN5o

On my second (and more critical) viewing, i can see that he's pressing on the valves much harder - almost slapping them. I don't know if he's doing this unconsciously, or to amplify his own opinion of valve noise.
    The spirit of this is video strives to be an honest critique, but he should not be adding his own "color" to influence people's perceptions IMO.

Have you either played or had personal experience with another musician who has owned the JP274 line of Euphoniums?
    Last edited by EyeInSky; 05-22-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I'm almost certain that Mack would use a large shank mouthpiece.
    Its model number 1150 is also the Jinhao model number, and, yes, large-shank.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

8. Hi Rick,

Well - good to know the YEP641 is large shank (I incorrectly assumed it was small).
    Since the MackBrass is a clone of the 641/642 models, no doubt Dave Warden is spot on about MackBrass being a large shank.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Simes View Post
    My last three euphoniums (and all associated accessories) have come from Jenny, and she merits my highest recommendation. Excellent service, well priced, and brilliantly sourced. The hooters are refurbished by Paul Riggett and come superbly prepared.
    Her store is out in the U.K. though, isn't that right? Wouldn't that make the cost and shipping more expensive?
    Another user also raves about this company and Jenny's service - so it's worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeInSky View Post
    Hello John,

Thanks for the compliments on the initial overview. Let me just state it was compiled from about 30 or so hours of online research across many different brands.
    What led to my concern about the silver plating rubbing off was from this YouTube review of the exact same horn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npX7IU3bDvs

... The comment occurs @ the 4:50 mark. I do like the sound on this horn quite a bit. He plays a nice tune at the end.

I'm still mulling over the MackBrass. The SUPER friendly $995 all-in price is quite tempting, and it seems to be a very decent instrument. Much better than the King & Jupiter non-compensating Euphoniums the schools have IMO (schools should seriously consider a large purchase of these).
    I also assume this model uses the small shank mouthpiece (just like the Yamaha equivalent)? If that's the case I would imagine the Wick 4AL that everyone talks about would be out of the question.
    As soon as I saw the first slide in the wrong way round, I lost interest. Also, if that’s the sort of euphonium sound that’s gaining currency, god help us all.
    1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    Denis Wick SM4 (original series)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast