Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miraphone Euphonium for sale

Quote Originally Posted by yadent View Post
    The HornGuys baritone is the 5 valved 56B Kaiser. This Instrument appears to possibly be the 4 valved 56A model.
    56A? Yeah, looks that way to me too. Here's one for sale at the Brass Ark, Noah Gladstone's shop in SoCal. http://www.brassark.com/sale/ngmirafoneeuph_1.jpg

These aren't intermediate horns either. The other option is the 6 valve C Euphonium, which is really rare. No, not the newer Asian ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17190763_911049532370635_9039925346781688417_n.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    "She assessed it as an intermediate horn, without compensating (I think that came after mine was made, mid 70's)".

Please explain this.

Dennis

Hmm, Dennis, thank you for question... I guess I'm saying two things: 1. It is a non-compensating instrument and 2. Alison considered it intermediate. I'm curious, do you feel otherwise? I so appreciate your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    lack of compensating does not mean it is intermediate. Almost no german-style instruments are compensating. Compensating valves were invented in the 1870s.
    Oh, Barry, thank you for that history lesson!! I think I connected the two issues, and that's clearly not true... OK, do you also question it being an intermediate horn? Now I'm more curious.

thanks so much for your thoughts. Deanne

It was designed as a professional instrument. It's a different style of professional instrument than most americans would use, and there are certainly limitations, but it wasn't meant for students or anything like that.
    --
    Barry

5. Quote Originally Posted by Markmc611 View Post
    56A? Yeah, looks that way to me too. Here's one for sale at the Brass Ark, Noah Gladstone's shop in SoCal. http://www.brassark.com/sale/ngmirafoneeuph_1.jpg

These aren't intermediate horns either. The other option is the 6 valve C Euphonium, which is really rare. No, not the newer Asian ones.
    From Brass Ark re: the referenced horn-----A beautiful Mirafone tenor tuba/euphonium from the 1970s. This is a euphonium setup in tuba shape, it has 4 rotary valves, upright bell. Takes a standard small shank trombone mouthpiece. It makes a beautiful sound, ideal for orchestral euphonium parts (Holst Planets, Strauss, etc). The instrument is in good shape, it does have some dents and scratches from use in the bell flare/rim and first branch. Miraphone still offers this instrument as the model 56A kaiser baritone, this one is a bargain at $2800 with case.

Question answered.

Asked, as numerous players erroneously refer to the "1" of a 3 & 1 euph as the "compensating" valve, even on a non-comp horn.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    "She assessed it as an intermediate horn, without compensating (I think that came after mine was made, mid 70's)".

Please explain this.

Dennis
    I think what she meant was that the Blaikley patent expired in 1970, and then other companies such as Miraphone started making compensating euphoniums.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

I'm not sure that's true. A patent from the late 1870s would certainly have a term that would have expired by the beginning of the 20th century. I think it more likely that very few other makers were interested in making compensating instruments until Besson and Boosey and Hawkes euphoniums, which had a semi-state-sponsored monopoly in their home country, became popular worldwide.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by yadent View Post
    From Brass Ark re: the referenced horn-----A beautiful Mirafone tenor tuba/euphonium from the 1970s. This is a euphonium setup in tuba shape, it has 4 rotary valves, upright bell. Takes a standard small shank trombone mouthpiece. It makes a beautiful sound, ideal for orchestral euphonium parts (Holst Planets, Strauss, etc). The instrument is in good shape, it does have some dents and scratches from use in the bell flare/rim and first branch. Miraphone still offers this instrument as the model 56A kaiser baritone, this one is a bargain at $2800 with case.
    wonderful! thank you. Yes, this looks to be a great bargain. Mine seems to be the same vintage but has only one or two little dents, and very few scratches...

Was anyone able to see the videos? https://www.facebook.com/groups/510582273008509/

Thanks for the link to the similar one at $2800. I can say that this one is in significantly better shape, probably because it wasn't played for so many years... and I can't necessarily justify the difference in asking $5,000 - and don't think I would take less than $4,000, so if it really calls to you, feel free to make me an offer! I would love to have a beautiful horn expressing itself more fully in the world.

Blessings, Deanne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast