X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • highpitch
    • Mar 2006

Question answered.

Asked, as numerous players erroneously refer to the "1" of a 3 & 1 euph as the "compensating" valve, even on a non-comp horn.

Dennis

Comment

• dsurkin
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by highpitch View Post
      "She assessed it as an intermediate horn, without compensating (I think that came after mine was made, mid 70's)".

Please explain this.

Dennis
      I think what she meant was that the Blaikley patent expired in 1970, and then other companies such as Miraphone started making compensating euphoniums.
      Dean L. Surkin
      Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
      Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
      Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
      See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• bbocaner
        • May 2009

I'm not sure that's true. A patent from the late 1870s would certainly have a term that would have expired by the beginning of the 20th century. I think it more likely that very few other makers were interested in making compensating instruments until Besson and Boosey and Hawkes euphoniums, which had a semi-state-sponsored monopoly in their home country, became popular worldwide.
        --
        Barry

Comment

• drdrda
          • May 2019

Originally posted by yadent View Post
          From Brass Ark re: the referenced horn-----A beautiful Mirafone tenor tuba/euphonium from the 1970s. This is a euphonium setup in tuba shape, it has 4 rotary valves, upright bell. Takes a standard small shank trombone mouthpiece. It makes a beautiful sound, ideal for orchestral euphonium parts (Holst Planets, Strauss, etc). The instrument is in good shape, it does have some dents and scratches from use in the bell flare/rim and first branch. Miraphone still offers this instrument as the model 56A kaiser baritone, this one is a bargain at $2800 with case.
          wonderful! thank you. Yes, this looks to be a great bargain. Mine seems to be the same vintage but has only one or two little dents, and very few scratches...

Comment

• drdrda
            • May 2019

Was anyone able to see the videos? https://www.facebook.com/groups/510582273008509/

Thanks for the link to the similar one at $2800. I can say that this one is in significantly better shape, probably because it wasn't played for so many years... and I can't necessarily justify the difference in asking $5,000 - and don't think I would take less than $4,000, so if it really calls to you, feel free to make me an offer! I would love to have a beautiful horn expressing itself more fully in the world.

Blessings, Deanne

Comment

• RickF
              • Jan 2006

No but I don't do FB. Too many horror stories with security issues.
              Rick Floyd
              Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
              Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
              The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
              Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• johnmckevitt
                • Jun 2014

Re: Mirafone EUphonium/ Tenor Tuba

I have recently picked up the Oval Equivalent Euphonium model. 56-4 0 .Bell size and bores all match. This one is from the same era as the One posted here for sale and the one on the Brass Ark site.Are these instruments tuned to a higher frequency than American or British Euphoniums? I have a Mirafone 5V 5/4 BBbb Kaiser Tuba in Gold Brass and a BBbb Mirafone Contrabass Trombone. I have had to add additional tubing to both main tuning slides as they played quite sharp. I am also playing this Mirafone Oval Euph with the Main Tuning Slide almost all the way out. I have not picked up a suitable mouthpiece for it yet as I have only had it 2-3 days. I have had Trombone Colleagues join European Orchestras and they had to have their Tuning slides shortened to match the European pitch standard. Any comments on the Mirafone line of instruments and their tuning / use in American (USA) ensembles?
                Last edited by johnmckevitt; 07-27-2019, 02:14 PM. Reason: Additional info/ corrections

Comment

• bbocaner
                  • May 2009

It's not unusual for european-made instruments to be designed to play at A442 but it's such a small difference that your tuning slide shouldn't have to be almost all the way out. My 56 tunes at 440 with the main tuning slide about an inch out, which is less than halfway.
                  --
                  Barry

Comment

• drdrda
                    • May 2019

This horn is still available... I'm open to negotiating the price... $3000?

Comment

Working...
                    X