Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardest Euphonium Band Excerpts?

Deleted

Deleted
    Last edited by jaxstrad; 01-13-2023 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Deleted

2. The euphonium solo in The World is Waiting for the Sunrise is among the most challenging runs I've had to prepare in a wind band.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

The baritone solo in Schoenberg's Theme and Variations was probably the most difficult I ever had to perform. Mostly because of the open voiced F#minor triad at the end (bass clef- F# about the staff to High C# down to A in the staff), but it's also very meandering and completely opposite the clarinet solo happening simultaneously.

Andreas Makris' Aegean festival Overture - Running5/8 and 7/8 passages go up to high D.
    Curnow's Festival Variations - lots of triplets at mm 150+.

As you said, Festive Overture is a pain in some places. Also the final... 8-12 bars? from Pomp&Circumstance No.1 with all the sixteenth notes is really hard because of the sudden interval jumps between the groups of sixteenths. Might just be the arrangement I had or because that's one of my Achilles heels, but yeah I hate that part xD.

+1 on "The world is waiting for the sunrise".

DG

7. Technical:
    Makris-Aegean Festival Overture
    Smith-Festival Variations

Lyrical:
    Grainger-Colonial Song

Hardest overall (for me):
    Grainger-Horkstow Grange from Lincolnshire Posy
    Sousa: Stars and Stripes Forever

S&S is best with a section...each of you get a break. And if you're a solo act, you'll need a break anyway.

Dennis

I'll add the finale to Tchaikovsky's fourth,Glinka's Russlan and Ludmilla, Melody shop is always fun. Maybe Molly on the Shore, Roman Carnival Overture, and Fingal's Cave for good measure. The Smith Festival Variations still causes me to wake up in a cold sweat sometimes.

Alex

Come to think of it, the hardest thing I ever had to play was a cello part; the Scherzo movement of Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream.

A jillion fast notes with nowhere to take a breath...

DG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast