Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardest Euphonium Band Excerpts?

1. If we are including brass band as well as concert band, my vote goes to Derek Bourgeois’ “The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.” Like most compositions written as competition test pieces it taxes range, facility and endurance. Unlike some of them, it also gives you the opportunity to do so in an expressive and musical manner.

I forgot about Pines of Rome. This was a a real pain!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fzg92fqtd40y.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	6926

Mike

I’d vote for Masquerade.... and just leave this here.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56C7DD9B-F31A-4667-B5FB-66F40E363E6B.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	6933
    1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    Denis Wick SM4 (original series)

Take a look at the first 9 measures of “The Universal Judgement”. Wait, make that the whole piece.

Is there a score I can look at?

I’m intrigued to see how hard it can be because I’ve seen pieces that were nigh on impossible, and that’s at the very highest level of British brass band euphonium playing.

Well I’ve had a listen, although I concede it may have been an identically titles piece, but it doesn’t seem any trickier than a lot of other pieces, unless it is in a truly vile key.

Quote Originally Posted by Simes View Post
    Is there a score I can look at?

I’m intrigued to see how hard it can be because I’ve seen pieces that were nigh on impossible, and that’s at the very highest level of British brass band euphonium playing.
    My take is that the original question is referring to band music (wind band) not brass band, since the pieces mentioned are wind band pieces. I would hazard a guess that most of us aren't familiar with brass band literature. Although I do recall seeing a the euphonium part for the brass band band arrangement of Dvorak's 8th that was pretty terrible looking.

Mike
    Last edited by mbrooke; 05-17-2019 at 09:18 AM.

From memory I recall Revelation (Philip Wiley) being extraordinarily difficult, ... Dove Descending (Wilby) likewise, especially the euph cadenza in natural tones only using the fourth valve. Torchbearer by Peter Graham was horrible in places, as was Harrison’s Dream and Triumph Of Time.

9. The Melody Shop by Karl King!

https://youtu.be/ViGEHGSUbtQ?t=76

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12