X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristianeSparkle
    • Jun 2018

A Look at John Packer JP852 Pro Euphonium Case

I've recently gotten the JP852 Pro Euph Case as my Jin Chuan China-made soft gig bag was not really working out. I've been hugging the soft gig bag around when I need to travel with the horn, as I wasn't confident about using the backpack strap.

First thing's first, it looks extremely sleek, relatively well-made on first glance. The logo design is a little different compared to the official website. It was surprisingly light too! A Marcus Bonna clone at a fraction of the price of an MB case, not bad at all!

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2019-05-06_20-46-40 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	125016Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2019-05-06_20-46-52.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	125008Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2019-05-06_20-46-49.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	125007

+Extremely sleek
    +Doesn't weigh too much

Comparing it side-by-side with my soft gig bag, it definitely looked a lot thinner (The gig bag had thick padding after all). It looks very compact overall, but there's a slight issue with it:

-It cannot stand on its bell at all. The case is slanted to the side a little, so the weight distribution is a little off & it will easily tip over after awhile (Funny thing, my soft case can stand on it's bell perfectly fine, but it cannot be placed horizontally without tipping over. This case is the total opposite of it)

Name:	photo_2019-05-06_20-42-55.jpg
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	125014
    Perhaps it has something to do with the oddly shaped padding at the bell? As you can see in the photo, the bell padding is fastened down with 3 round circular fabric (screws underneath, I am guessing?). The padding looks a bit off to me.

Name:	photo_2019-05-06_20-46-29.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	125010

It comes with 3 adjustable padded blocks, a mouthpiece pouch, a rectangular pouch & a name tag.

Name:	photo_2019-05-06_20-45-57.jpg
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	125009
    I haven't figured out the best configuration for the padded blocks, as the case feels like a very snug fit for my JP274. There's very little wiggle room for it. I've placed a block pressing against the valves when the case's closed & one near the leadpipe. Would like to hear the configurations that others on here have, if you have a case with these padded blocks.

Name:	photo_2019-05-06_20-45-02.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	125012
    Also, my lyre holder screw was digging into the case and left a mark, so I removed the screw instead.

The 2 internal compartments does not seem to be able to hold much, I have a tuner, 1 Hetman Valve Oil & 1 Slide Gel and it's pretty much filled up. I am not sure where the mouthpiece pouch is supposed to placed, as there's just no place at all, unless I leave it in between the spaces of the horn.

Name:	photo_2019-05-06_20-42-52.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	125013
    Not sure if you can see it here, it was clear on my phone, but not my PC's monitor. This is the joint of the compartment, held together by 4 pieces of fabric (again, screws underneath, I believe). One of the circular fabric actually came off and I had to put some super glue to stick it back.

-The YKK zippers works, but they have the tendency to get stuck around corner, so you need to gently coax them when closing or opening the case. Using too much force will probably ruin the zipper rather fast.

Name:	photo_2019-05-06_20-45-05.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	125011
    The A4 sheet music compartment has lots of space, but caution is needed as putting in too much and you risk tearing the compartment out. I initially tried to put my A4 file, clothes, oils etc in it and the threads came loose, as you can see in the photo.

Name:	photo_2019-05-06_21-23-54.jpg
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	125015
    On all the official photos of the case, the configuration of the shoulder straps look as if you are supposed to carry the case with the bell facing down, but I am fairly certain that's not possible, as the bell will just bump against your backside as you walk. I've tried it & it's not comfortable. Based on the configuration of the hooks, the bell would be facing up, and it's slightly angled to the side a little.

+It felt extremely comfortable when you have it on your back with the bell facing up & definitely feels much lighter compared to hauling it like a suit case.

In summary.

+Sleek looking
    +Doesn't weigh too much
    +Comfortable when it's on your back
    +looks sturdy
    +The extra accessories like mouthpiece pouch and the rectangular pouches are very convenient
    +The handles at the bow end of the case, and another one at the leadpipe end. (2 ways of carrying the case by hand if you're inclined to do so)
    +shoulder straps & hooks seems sturdy

+- snug fit for a JP274
    +- A4 sheet music compartment is roomy but be careful with what & how much you put in it.

-Gotta be careful around corners when opening or closing the zip
    -Doesn't stand on its bell (but I guess you shouldn't be doing that at all)
    -Compartments are tiny, no idea where to put the mouthpiece pouch.
    -Some questionable build quality (the belll padding, the A4 compartment's threads and the circular fabric that came off. The slit around the shoulder strap hooks looks a little rough around the edges.)

Overall, I would say that the + outweigh the - & I really love the case & the convenience/mobility that it provides
    Last edited by ChristianeSparkle; 05-06-2019, 09:08 AM.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/
  • highpitch
    • Mar 2006

Zippers ease up when rubbed with a small candle...

DG

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

Nice review Christiane with pics too.
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)
      ​

Comment

• bbocaner
        • May 2009

I have the slightly smaller baritone version of this case, the 856. They are pretty close copies of the Bonna cases. It's pretty nice and certainly a good value. As MB doesn't make a baritone case, it's the only choice for that style of case. I actually like the straps and the quality of the covering material better than the actual MB cases.
        Last edited by bbocaner; 05-06-2019, 02:15 PM.
        --
        Barry

Comment

• bbocaner
          • May 2009

I believe the mouthpiece pouch is supposed to go on the edge of the case so that it's inside the bell when the instrument is in the case. The MB cases are the same way and include an almost identical part. I'm not a fan of that as if the velcro comes loose you're going to get your bell dented up, so I usually just put my mouthpiece in a smaller pouch in one of the small pockets on the side.
          --
          Barry

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by bbocaner View Post
            I believe the mouthpiece pouch is supposed to go on the edge of the case so that it's inside the bell when the instrument is in the case. The MB cases are the same way and include an almost identical part. I'm not a fan of that as if the velcro comes loose you're going to get your bell dented up, so I usually just put my mouthpiece in a smaller pouch in one of the small pockets on the side.

Ah yes, that sounds very risky! I've had my old mouthpiece pouch's velcro come loose and the mouthpiece dropped out. Thankfully it was in my backpack
            "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
            Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
            https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• iMav
              • May 2011

From what I've been able to tell...the JP852 is identical to the Marcus Bonna case. Except for one feature that has be PREFERRING the JP case over the MB one... the handle.

Name:	case-1.jpg
Size:	539.0 KB
ID:	119432Click image for larger version

Name:	case-2.jpg
Size:	478.3 KB
ID:	119433

It's such a simple thing...but I really like not having to unvelcro the handle before opening the case.
              Groups
              Valley City Community Band
              Valley City State University Concert Band
              2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by iMav View Post
                From what I've been able to tell...the JP852 is identical to the Marcus Bonna case. Except for one feature that has be PREFERRING the JP case over the MB one... the handle.

It's such a simple thing...but I really like not having to unvelcro the handle before opening the case.
                Yes... But... Many of these case owners worry about the zipper failing. If it fails on the Bonna case, the handle strap will save the horn! That handle setup can also be used to quickly move the case around in the room without zipping it.
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                YouTube: dwerden
                Facebook: davewerden
                Twitter: davewerden
                Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
                X