Thread: Considering a new Euph

1. Considering a new Euph

Hey fellow Euphonium players!

I have been considering to get a new Euphonium, as I head into my senior year in high school. I have always used Jinbao stencil horns, and with the financial status I am at right now, I am probably going to get another stencil horn. Currently witht he John Packer Stencil, I am considering for the same price either a Wessex Dolce, Thomann Compensating + Trigger, or Schiller Elite with Trigger. Any advice? All of them are from Jinbao, so why would I consider one over the other? Also, which brands have the best customer service in case things break, or things happen during shipping? Thank you!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    My vote would be for a Wessex Dolce. I have owned a Dolce for a few years, and I also have a high end horn (Adams E3) and a B&H Imperial. Customer service has been good for me with Wessex. And these horns are all checked at the factory by personnel from Wessex prior to releasing them. I own the Wessex Dolce with gold brass bell and lacquer finish. I am quite happy with it. I have been using it lately for the past several months, and it plays very well. A very good value in my opinion. Wessex keeps expanding and improving, so I feel pretty confident they will be around and will take care of their customers.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

3. Thank you very much sir! However , doesn’t the latter two have a trigger for the same price ?

Out of curiosity, why are you switching away from John Packer? I am guessing you're using the JP274?
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by victorandhiseuph View Post
    Thank you very much sir! However , doesn’t the latter two have a trigger for the same price ?
    I think the Schiller may be a bit more with the trigger, at least the Schiller Elite V. I like the Wessex because of their extra attention to quality control and customer service. I don't think the trigger is essential on the Wessex. Pretty good intonation. I bought one, I use it a lot, and I like it, so the answer is pretty simple for me. Not to say others aren't good candidates.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

What’s your budget? There are some great used hooters about.
    1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    Denis Wick SM4 (original series)