16 64.00%
  • Brass with satin-gold lacquer

6 24.00%
  • They are equal

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adams Options

Adams Options

OK, what do you folks think of these two? Do you like the equally? One more than the other?

One is the brushed metal that I currently have with a sterling silver bell. The other is yellow brass with satin-gold lacquer. Very different looks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adams Gold vs Silver 2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	6895 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adams Gold vs Silver 1.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	6896
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    You know my preference, the brush, with brass body and sterling silver bell. And mine has a fully engraved bell which is awesome.

I don't want to spoil this for you, Dave, but if I were a betting man, I would think you have not one, but two Adams euphoniums in your castle. One is your current brush finish, sterling silver bell beauty, and the other is this yellow brass with satin-gold lacquer beauty that you are trying on approval as a possible replacement for your current horn. Inquiring minds want to know!

The satin-gold finish is also very attractive, but I still go with the other.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 05-05-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I also noticed the water keys on the satin-gold model. Just like your other one. They don't call me Dick Tracy for nothing. Actually, they don't call me Dick Tracy at all.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Gosh, they’re both gorgeous! I voted the silver brushed - sterling bell.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Straight yellow brass is my preference between these two, on looks alone. I am not considering the affects on the sound at all with this choice. It is simply that I prefer a solid colored horn, as much as possible. It is less busy, more traditional, and more visually appealing for me personally. Which is what you are asking for (personal opinion of looks).

This is true, whether looking at a silver plate horn, or a glossy lacquer horn. I know that the lacquer horns often have nickle reinforcement built into their slides and other high wear pieces. It still manages to look like a single color horn to me. So if someone asked me, I would say to go with one look or the other (silver or lacquered brass), not some parts one way and other parts the other. Go with whichever you personally like best.

That being said, the satin/brushed finish does minimize the difference in appearance between the two finish materials. It brings them together better than they are in a highly polished and reflective horn.

That and Dave, you are known for your two color horn. It has probably become a part of your "brand." As such, it is something that should only be changed after careful consideration.

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

6. Mine is the brushed brass and I get many comments about how nice it looks. However, I would have gotten the brushed silver bell (not necessarily sterling) if I had a choice.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Mine is the brushed brass and I get many comments about how nice it looks. However, I would have gotten the brushed silver bell (not necessarily sterling) if I had a choice.
    It'd be hard to make a silver-plated brass bell with a brass body, as the pieces would have to be made separately and assembled after finishing. It can be done, but not 100% neatly.

I like the look of the sterling bell, even though I like the way yellow brass plays better. Tinted lacquer reminds me too much of american instruments from the 1960s and 1970s.
    --
    Barry

I voted for the yellow brass, but Id'be curious to know the difference in terms of sound, response etc.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Purely for aesthetics, the yellow brass one. I like uniformity in things like colour etc, and a silver bell on a brass body (or vice versa) has always looked kinda 'off' to me personally.

10. I’m a sucker for a satin two tone finish. So the sterling silver gets my vote. Now if you happen to put some small “bling” pieces on the other I may change my vote 😂😂😂

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast