Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MichaelSchott
    • Mar 2012

Really hard to tell any differences between the two. In the Holst I felt a bit more presence in horn A, other than that they sounded as close to identical as possible. There are far to many variables to make a real judgment although I'm sure Dave tried to play the music exactly the same. I'm curious as to his comments on the two horns when he reveals which is which.

Comment

• lzajmom
      • Feb 2019

Having watched Beauty & the Beast about 100,000 times (per summer) growing up, I appreciate the selection! I too liked B better.
      Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Thanks for everyone for the input!!

In the listening samples, horn B is my current E3 with the sterling silver bell. As I mentioned before, my first criterion is the sound output, and my questions about the appearance were to see if the gold horn was "good enough" in appearance or if I should seek other choices if I went with horn A.

So my conclusion is that I'll stick with my current horn. It is interesting to play the 2 horns, though. Mine sounds "special" every time I play it. That has to be the sterling bell. At ITEC 2016 I compared the display .70 yellow E3's with my .60 sterling E1. The E3's had a larger sound, which I liked a lot, but there was still a special quality to my E1. Anyway, the gold E3 is still a great horn. I'd say it has a very good ROI because it sounds really good without much effort, and it is over $1k cheaper at today's prices.

As far as finish goes, if I were ordering a yellow brass today I would go with brushed metal and gold lacquer, instead of shiny metal and satin lacquer. I think the basic effect would be similar, but with the brushed horn I could have bright highlights on the connecting rings as well as the removable pieces. With satin lacquer, it has to coat everything that is soldered together.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

BTW, I also had Sara listen to the recording. She liked some qualities in each horn and could not pick a favorite.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• John Morgan
            • Apr 2014

Well, hallelujah! I thought B was your Sterling Silver E3!! I have to agree with your conclusion. I absolutely love my Sterling Silver E3. Even better, Lee Stofer has promised me it will be with him and complete (a little detailing, valve work, and the hand grip which came unsoldered) at ITEC in just about 10 days!!!

There is just something really special with that horn. And yours, Dave. It is my horn for life, no doubt. Even if something "better" came along, I won't change. It's got my name on it.
            John Morgan
            The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
            Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
            1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
            Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
            Year Round Except Summer:
            Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
            KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
            Summer Only:
            Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
            Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• guidocorona
              • Jun 2018

I admit that I was hoping against hope that "B" would be the YB 0.70mm, well knowing that this was unlikely.

As great as the YB 0.70 sounds, I comfortably prefer the SS for all audible parameters I can think of... Too bad AustinCustomBrass shows a $2K premium on a Sterling Silver bell over yellow brass *Sad!*

Guido
              M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
              Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
              Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

Working...
              X