• Brush, with brass body and sterling silver bell

16 64.00%
  • Brass with satin-gold lacquer

6 24.00%
  • They are equal

3 12.00%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Adams Options

I have to admit, I can't quite make out the difference between both in the recording. But they sound so beautiful! A reminder of why I love the Euph
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Well, at the risk of picking the wrong one, I think I preferred horn B. It was warmer and more mellow than A, although the difference was pretty subtle. I reserve the right to change my mind once I know which horn is which.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    They are both very nice horns. You probably have a favorite or think you do. What would be a really good test is to be blindfolded, then have your wife or someone hand you the horn to play the excerpts. And put on light weight gloves. This way, you have a better chance of not putting any bias into your performance. If you are leaning toward one over the other, it is hard not to try to play the one you are leaning towards just a little better. At least, I have found that true for me. You just want it to sound better.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I’m with Christiane as I can’t tell any difference.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Well, at the risk of picking the wrong one, I think I preferred horn B. It was warmer and more mellow than A, although the difference was pretty subtle. I reserve the right to change my mind once I know which horn is which.

That is what I heard also. Especially in the "Brisk Young Sailor", Horn A sounded very much like a bassoon to me--not that that is a bad thing, just unexpected, and of course I am sure it sounds much different live than on computer speakers. Both were played very well of course and both sound nice, but I would pick horn B based on the recording.

I realize that this may not be a popular opinion, and nobody asked, but I still have to say that I prefer shiny, and I don't get why the trend is toward dull finishes on horns. To me it just looks like it isn't finished yet, or that they forgot to polish it at the factory.

They both sound very good and, even if they seems to sound the same, I have a slight preference for the horn B: it has a warmer shade.
    Last edited by franz; 05-11-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

I appreciate all the input so far! For the time being I'm going to remain a little quiet on the actual choice, partly because I'm not sure yet.

My motivation is to see if there is an option that as good as, or better than, the sterling bell, because that bell is easier to damage in transport. But greater sturdiness is not enough to get me to switch if I don't like the sound as well.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hi David, talking about a "blind test"... My JAWS screen reading software can't detect the links to the videos at all... Could you post the raw URLs, or standard links using HTML anchor tags or input/button tags? I know that JAWS would detect those and let me open them.

Thanks, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

I like the B sound better. It seems a bit more mellow. Although, it may be my imagination, but there also seems to be a slight difference in the piano tone in the two recordings, with the B piano being a bit more mellow.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hi David, talking about a "blind test"... My JAWS screen reading software can't detect the links to the videos at all... Could you post the raw URLs, or standard links using HTML anchor tags or input/button tags? I know that JAWS would detect those and let me open them.
    For anyone having trouble with the embedded video, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlM1lC6moKw

I'll try to remember to include both in the future.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast