Thread: Recital Opener Suggestions

Recital Opener Suggestions

Good afternoon y’all,

I’m beginning to piece together the program for my joint senior recital next semester and have most of it locked in, but have yet to decide on a proper “opener” to the program. For context, the other pieces on my part of the program are:

John Boda Sonatina

Mahler Lieder und Gesänge aus der Jugendzeit (will select 2-3 from the collection, undecided as of now) - arranged by Dr. Jeff Baker

Vivaldi Concerto in G Minor for 2 Cellos RV531 (finale done with my recital partner, who is a cellist)

My professor has suggested Turrin’s Concert Piece no. 1 for that slot, which I highly enjoy, but I’m always open to hear more options. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

If you want something exciting and entertaining as an opener, the Goedicke Concert Etude is a great choice, especially if you can get it really cooking.

Another one my teacher threw out as a spitball option years ago was the Ritter George Sonata 3rd movement.

Quote Originally Posted by TD517 View Post
    If you want something exciting and entertaining as an opener, the Goedicke Concert Etude is a great choice, especially if you can get it really cooking.
    I just did that a few weeks ago! It's a great piece.

Quote Originally Posted by TD517 View Post
    Another one my teacher threw out as a spitball option years ago was the Ritter George Sonata 3rd movement.
    This is also a stirring piece if you have good air and a good triple-tongue facility. I did it many years ago at U of Akron:

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Perhaps a theme-and-variations? There's the traditional ones like Carnival of Venice, Napoli, and Endearing Young Charms, but you could just as well do a modern one, such as Peter Graham's Brillante or Bravura.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

I once opened a program with DIALOGUE by Roger Jones. Begins with a big piano chord to
    wake up the audience. ;-)
    It's energetic/lyrical and well written. Available at SheetMusic.com IIRC.
    For some reason, this piece never became a staple of the literature. Not sure why.
    Last edited by Snorlax; 05-08-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

6. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I just did that a few weeks ago! It's a great piece.

The lady behind your left shoulder is really grooving with you.
    Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"