Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resilience Valve Oil - First Impression

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)

Resilience Valve Oil - First Impression

There was a thread about the new product called Resilience Valve Oil in another post, but this seemed to be a better place for it.

I was intrigued by the recent talk of Resilience Valve Oil (and grease and kick gel). I bought all three of them. I got the Valve Oil #1 which is Light. All of the products arrived today (along with a postage due of $1.61 after having paid $5.95 for shipping/handling!).

My Adams is STILL away getting some work done on it (3 and 1/2 months now and counting). So, I am currently using my Wessex Dolce. Which I have been using Monster Oil (specifically Doc's Juice) on for three months. Monster Oil has been fairly good, when I went to clean my valves today prior to trying Resilience, I did have some residue in the bottom valve caps, but not very much, certainly much less than any of the other synthetics I have tried. But, I have to re-oil fairly frequently, and still have some intermittent valve sluggishness, or to more accurately describe one of the issues, when I press down the 3rd valve (which I use much less than the others), it sometimes is a little hard at the first push. So, the valves, are still not perfect or really good. Just okay. After they sit for a while, you have to rattle the valves with your fingers a bit to get them "loosened up" when you start playing again.

I cleaned the valves and put on Resilience. Now I know this is very early in the try out process, but my first impression was immediate. The valves felt very smooth, much smoother than they have before. I do not have the "hesitance" at all when I press on any valve top cap. They all go down and up very smoothly, that is the operative word - "smooth". Velvety. Very noticeable to me right away.

I did not notice much of a smell at all. Granted, my nose may not be the best, but I did smell Blue Juice easily.

I have set the horn down a few times, and waited a few minutes, then picked it up again, and the valves are immediately ready, no hiccups or hesitation or hard to press first time at all. Still feels just plain smooth. I don't recall experiencing this with other valve oils.

I am really hoping this holds and the valves continue like this. And that the oil will last longer than others. And that I don't get junk building up in the horn.

I am very optimistic about this valve oil. If it keeps performing like this, we have a winner here, IMHO. If so, Resilience should probably look to beefing up their operation, marketing, distribution (the mailer wasn't very official or professional looking and had postage due!), etc.

Haven't tried the kick gel, because MY ADAMS IS STILL AWAY and it has the main tuning slide operated by the trigger. Have not tried the grease, either, but will shortly.

I will do a follow up review after a couple weeks to a month.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    postage due of $1.61 after having paid $5.95 for shipping/handling!
    Ugh. Amateur hour. That's really lame. I'm glad you like the oil though. I wish he'd get a reliable online seller to make it easier to get.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Ugh. Amateur hour. That's really lame. I'm glad you like the oil though. I wish he'd get a reliable online seller to make it easier to get.
    I sent Matt a message about the postage due. He replied that it was weighed and then something about being weighed again in the back of the post office and not charging the sender but rather charging the receiver. I really didn't follow that too much, however, he was very apologetic and offered a refund or more oil. He ended up saying he was sending me more oil (don't know how much) for free, so that probably covers the postage due and then some. Agreed that he needs to get his product to a reliable seller. I think it took about 3-4 days to get sent off after getting my order.

Still liking the oil...
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    I sent Matt a message about the postage due. He replied that it was weighed and then something about being weighed again in the back of the post office and not charging the sender but rather charging the receiver. I really didn't follow that too much, however, he was very apologetic and offered a refund or more oil. He ended up saying he was sending me more oil (don't know how much) for free, so that probably covers the postage due and then some. Agreed that he needs to get his product to a reliable seller. I think it took about 3-4 days to get sent off after getting my order.

Still liking the oil...
    John,

Did you have to pay the additional postage? I ordered some and the package had $2.79 due, but the mail carrier just put it in my box.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    John,

Did you have to pay the additional postage? I ordered some and the package had $2.79 due, but the mail carrier just put it in my box.

Mike
    Yeah, the postman came to our door, presented the package, and said that will be $1.61. So I checked to see who it was from first, and when I saw it was the oil, I paid the $1.61 on the spot (actually $2.00 because the postman didn't have any change - we told him to keep the change). But I knew I was going to send Matt at Resilience Oil a message right away with my displeasure over paying extra postage. So, I am apparently getting free oil, which should be worth my $2.00 at least.

Matt needs to get this figured out. What I think he is doing is printing postage labels at home with a mail machine, but not getting it right. I have experience in sending from home. You have to get all the details right (size, weight, etc.). Not hard, but you have to do it right. He needs help.

My initial order was two bottles of #1 Valve Oil, one jar of grease and one bottle of Kick Gel. And the postage label on my package said $2.05. Then add the $1.61, for a grand total of $3.66. You must have ordered more product than I did, or he screwed yours up more than mine.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 05-03-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

I had two bottles of oil and one container of grease. The labels were had written.

Mike

Having dealt fairly extensively with the USPS in creating online shipping labels, attempting to estimate the amount of postage necessary for a 1st class item, having lengthy discussions with staff in which they flatly denied what some of their own very explicit policies state, and otherwise dealing with their weirdly implemented and frustrating web site ... it is difficult for me to fault anyone who might get postage wrong. Though I do agree that a genuine business should have that process pretty well locked down before dealing with customers.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

If I were him, I'd want to be in the business of making good valve oil, not in the business of shipping the stuff out, dealing with customer service issues related to orders and shipping, and operating an e-commerce web site. I'd look into fulfillment by amazon - basically, they take a few dollars per item sold and also charge you a small amount for warehouse space each month, and they handle everything. https://services.amazon.com/fulfillm...n/benefits.htm
    --
    Barry

Barry,

Do you have any direct experience with Fulfillment by Amazon? I was trying to think of a good solution for this guy, but that didn't occur to me. My employer (Rockler Woodworking and Hardware) just started using that particular avenue recently. I'm only peripherally involved, but what I see looks like it's not a "set and forget" kind of operation.

I just got my oil Friday, after a trip to the Post Office to pay the couple bucks of postage due. I'll probably try using it this coming week.

My life got a whole lot simpler when I gave the rights to Whaling Music Publishers over to Cimarron Music. I was tired of being a "copy-room boy" and stock boy.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

no, no direct experience.
    --
    Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast