Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resilience Valve Oil - First Impression

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Okay, it has been a couple weeks. My impression of the Resilience Valve Oil #1 (Light): This is a keeper. I have only oiled my valves maybe 2 times. The oil seems to really last. And I just did my first check inside the valve chamber. Took out the valves and the bottom caps. There was a very little bit of residue in the bottom cap of the second valve (this is the place where I always get the most amount of gunk with synthetic oils). Virtually nothing in the bottom caps of valves 1 and 3. Didn't look at 4.

So, at this point, I have found the oil for me. Matt did end up sending me two more smaller bottles of the #1 valve oil to compensate for the extra postage. I was wondering if I was going to have to pay extra postage on that package, but no, it had enough postage.

I hope Matt finds some good places to sell this stuff. It works, lasts, and so far, doesn't gunk up the horn very much at all. Matt, if you are reading this, ask me to write you a review to post somewhere. Happy to do it.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I've been using Resilience Valve Oil #1 (Light) for about a month or so and have been having an issue. When I oil the valves they are very slick, but after a few hours they become sluggish and there seems to be a whitish coating on the valves — like the oil has emulsified. I have tried cleaning them and swabbing out the casings, but it doesn't help. The horn was cleaned by me tech back in March. Anyone else have this issue?

Mike

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Update on Resilience.

Got my Adams back while at ITEC. In perfect condition. Lee Stofer is a magician. He did put in new springs.

When I got home, I cleaned the valves and casing, I think Lee had put Hetman's on. After cleaning, I applied the Resilience Valve Oil. That was a little over a week ago. So far, so good. I had been using my Wessex horn with Resilience for several weeks, and it worked great on that horn. It is working great on my Adams. I did have to clean the valves on my Adams twice, as I don't think I got them totally clean the first time (or inside the valve chamber), so I cleaned again.

mbrooke - I just checked my valves on the Adams, and I don't see any whitish coating. I wonder if the "dreaded body chemistry" might have anything to do with it. I got tons of gunk with other synthetics, but don't seem to be with this one.

I will report again on the Adams with Resilience in a few weeks.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I've been using the #1 on my bass trombone valves for a couple of months and it seems to work very well. I don't notice any of the odor once I put it on the horn. Haven't noticed any residue or gunk. I did flush the valves very thoroughly before I switched over. It's possible that any odd residue or coating MIGHT result from a mixture of one oil with another (typically synthetic, from what I see reported). On the other hand, I'm often not careful with this and have never actually seen it myself. But before giving up on an oil, I'd THOROUGHLY clean the valves and tubing to avoid any cross-contamination.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12