Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comparison between the Wedge Euphonium and Steven Mead Ultra X mouthpieces

Good point about the return policy, I think I'll give it a try if I can find the budget.

Also thanks for the remarks about the 3AL being too big. I never thought about it that way; I switched from 4 to 3 because I thought it would make the lower register sound a little bit fuller and easier to play. Also, I used to play tuba until about 15 years ago, so I figured I could handle the bigger size.

About the Wedge fitting guide, one question is "2. How would you describe you and your level of playing experience?*"...

Until 17 years ago, I studied tuba at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague, but then I joined the Royal Marechaussee and did not play for a year or two. Then I joined their band, but on Euphonium. I then played 3 years with them, but between 2007 and 2015 haven't played. Since 2015 I play at least once a week at rehearsal (and most of the time, that's all I play). So concerning the technical aspects of playing, I think I am somewhere between beginner and Intermediate amateur, wouldn't you agree?

2. Just mention your playing history in the comments on the form and fill out intermediate. dr. Dave will let you now if he needs more info.
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

I've ordered a Wedge 103 and will give a full report as soon as I have had some time behind it.
    Since the designer of the euphonium Wedge also helped to design the Yamaha Neo I now play, I see some potential here.
    I filled out the survey, indicated I was in no hurry, and received a response within a few days.
    Additionally, the trial period is most generous.
    The good news is that I have a gig-free few weeks so I can really test it out at home and put it through a number of paces I wouldn't necessarily need in an ensemble.
    The bad news is that I have a gig-free few weeks, so I can't test it in an ensemble setting and won't make any money to help cover its $230 cost (I try to make my music and amateur radio gear pay for itself!)
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

4. I ordered a 104E 2 weeks ago....
    Would love to hear you thoughts about it Snorlax!

I ordered a 102 a few weeks ago. I usually use a 103 rim, but Dr. Dave recommended I try the 102.

Mike

Well...I'm back from a four-day road trip to Utah...before I discuss anything as mundane as euphonium mouthpieces, I have to say that Logan, Utah is as close to heaven as I will ever get. What a town!!
    Now...the Wedge 103 was waiting for me upon my return to Indiana. After my 4-5 days off in Utah, I put the 103 in my Neo and went through a scale and broken chord routine I use, and went through a couple of "acid-test pieces" I use frequently. In some ways, the time off is a setback, but in some ways it allowed me to take a "blank slate" approach.
    INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:
    *I'm not 100% sure how to place it properly--yeah, it has the dots for "top" and "bottom," but I notice that even a slight adjustment changes response noticeably--it must be fine-tuned like the AGR on Adams horns...so I'm still experimenting with the proper location.
    *I do notice a bit more comfort after a 90-minute session playing from pedal B flat to double-high B flat.
    *After one session, I still need to acclimate to the extremes of register...further reports will follow, but not too frequently. ;-)
    *Despite practicing in a basement with a low ceiling, I do notice a fuller sound. I'll put it on a scope later.
    *The Neo seems to me to be the most mouthpiece-sensitive horn I have ever owned, but the Wedge seems at first blush to be a very good match...this is perhaps logical since the
    individual behind the Wedge is also one of the developers of the Neo.
    *I like the FEEL of the piece. It feels a bit smaller than the 4AL, but it really isn't.
    *Slurring seems a bit easier. I'm going to get my valves vented soon, so slurring may be easier yet after the venting.
    *As Gary said above, the mouthpiece experience is a journey, and my route has included every possible stopping point and a few stopping points that are totally off the map.
    *Positive impression after one day...stay tuned...
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

7. I've been playing on a Wedge rim for about a year. I use a Wedge 102 rim on a Doug Elliot setup so I can switch back and forth between my Yamaha 842 and my large bore Shires trombone that use for orchestra. My impressions are that the Wedge mouthpiece does what it claims to do. I do notice an improvement in both endurance and range. Also play alto trombone, a small bore Shires and baritone horn so getting away with using as few mouthpieces as possible has been a long term goal. I don't use a Wedge for the smaller stuff, but that day may come. I know Dr. Dave's brother quite well and we have played a number of things together over the years. He is primarily a trombone player but he also plays other brass instruments including tuba and trumpet. He first told me about the Wedge mouthpieces seven years ago or so but I didn't try one until recently when I was able to borrow a Wedge 101 rim from a former student to try. I was happy with those results, but for euphonium the sound was a little thin. I did have an online lesson with Doug Elliot and he recommended I go with something a little bigger, so I ordered the 102 and have been happy with it. I also used a Wedge 97C (I think) when I was at Dave's brother's house trying a number of small bore trombones and I really liked it. I may consider getting one of those if I can try it again and give it a more thorough play test.

8. I’ve had the Wedge 104E for a couple of days now. When feeling the wedge rim it felt really comfortable and it reminded me of what I liked about the Wedge a couple of years ago. I don’t seem to recall why I stepped away from the wedge a couple of years ago. (Probably because of trying something new)
    First “real” test was brass band rehearsal yesterday:
    Compared to a SM3U / K&G 3.5D / Warburton Demondrae the Wedge 104E is more mellow sounding and a bit fuller. Nice and warm euphonium sound, really big sound (due to the 0.300 throat?). The 104E has a 26.4 cup but feels a bit smaller to me. (Feels pretty similar to the Demondrae)

Benefits of the wedge are for me:

• More endurance
    • Not more actual range, but more usable range (high range with good tone quality)
    • Flexibility is better

It takes a little bit of tweaking to get the mouthpiece in exactly the right position on the embouchure. I will probably mark the mouthpiece somewhere so I can insert it the same way every time.

I’ll give the mpc some more time and will report back later. For now it feels (and sounds) really good.
    Last edited by DutchEupho; 06-25-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchEupho View Post
    [snip] It takes a little bit of tweaking to get the mouthpiece in exactly the right position on the embouchure. I will probably mark the mouthpiece somewhere so I can insert it the same way every time.[snip]
    On the Wedge website, they say that the mouthpiece is marked with a dot to show how it should be inserted. Does yours not have the dot?
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

10. Hi Dean,

Yes the mouthpiece has the dots to indicate the mouthpiece orientation. However we euphonium players don't hold our instruments straight like a trumpet player does. So the dots indicate the orientation but you still have to place it on the embouchure. Checking with a mirror works to see if the dot is straight under your nose when playing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast