Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading up or trading laterally?

Trading up or trading laterally?

As are many on the forum, I'm asking for comments/advice on moving to a different instrument. I'm a 73 y/o in my second full yr of community band playing after a 50+ yr absence from Jr. high, HS and young adult baritone horn playing. And by the way, it's the 3rd best decision I've made in my life -- just behind marrying my wonderful sweetheart and retirement! I'm playing a Jupiter 3+1 non compensating 1020 and enjoy it. I think I paid about $1900 for it -- currently they're going for $2300+ to $2600. I've read a lot about the Wessex Dolce and have seen Algirdas Matonis' review on his YouTube channel. But would I be moving up, sideways or down with the Dolce --or with another comparable instrument? The compensating system is attractive to me, but my understanding is that it is primarily beneficial in the lower range intonation where I don't have much of a problem. So, as a 2 yr come-back player, do I stay with the Jupiter and continue to strengthen my skills, or are there options out there in the $2700 and under range that would be good for me to pursue? This is a terrific forum! So many great folks who are very generous with their time and thoughts. Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar withe your Jupiter so I can't say if the Wessex would be a side grade or not. But there are options in the 2000's worth considering, particularly the JP Sterling. There may also be an Eastman or others.

Are you near the Twin Cities or Iowa City? There will a conference in each city with horns on display. The ITEC in Iowa City will have a large array of vendors. Either would be a terrific way to learn more.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks, David. I'll take a look at the JPs and Eastman's. Would love to be in the area, but too far to make it work. I need to wait for it to come to the east.

I'm a fan of the Dolce, I got one before my senior year of college and it stood up to wind bands, brass bands, and solo recitals. Fritz Kaenzig (someone who's opinion I trust more than my own) remarked during a masterclass that he was surprised how far Chinese craftsmanship had come and that it sounded as good as the horns that cost 4 times as much. I found it easier to play than the Yamaha 642 but not as easy as the 842(your mileage may vary) and I believe that they've tweaked the horn for the better recently. The Eastman was also a lovely horn. I can't speak for the JP.

With people like Gene Pokorny being at the opening the wessex store in Chicago and Chris Olka becoming and Eastman artist, the quality of the "cheap" instruments is becoming undeniable.

Alex S

Thnks, Alex. Good to know.

Cheers to you Roger! I’m a little older than you, and just beginning (2 months) on euphonium, also in a very nice community band.
    My HS/college life was spent playing low clarinets and as a voice major, needing a change because of arthritis. I will be starting lessons soon with a good teacher, and I hope to try the tuba as my lessons proceed.
    Please post what you think about the Dolce if you get to play one. I had the chance to get a look at one up close during a rehearsal a week ago and the Wessex euphoniums are really handsome horns. I’m waiting to see the newest Wessex before I decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    The compensating system is attractive to me, but my understanding is that it is primarily beneficial in the lower range intonation where I don't have much of a problem.
    I find the 3+1 horns much easier and more pleasant to play than the 4-in-line horns. And the 4th valve has definite uses in the middle register.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I guess a more basic question is whether or not the Jupiter is doing it for you. Do you like the sound, the intonation, the playability, the way it works in your band? Is there something you're not getting that you hope to achieve with a new horn? I've had Jupiter and Wessex instruments, and my experience is that the build quality in my Jupiters was always superior. Your mileage (and that of other users of both horns) may vary.
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Wow, Ann, I can't see me going from brass to woodwind. Welcome to the dark side and best of luck!

Pat, I've asked myself the same question. Frankly, part of it is my innate desire to experiment and explore. I've owned probably 10 or more guitars in my life time just to see what's out there and can I find a new and exciting "voice". And there is the collector in me, but I don't want it to be haphazard. And "trading" might not be the word to use, because I could very easily see myself keeping the Jupiter. But if I do go with a new horn, I'd like to find a more open sound and faster valves. Does any of this make sense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast