Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trading up or trading laterally?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Pat, I've asked myself the same question. Frankly, part of it is my innate desire to experiment and explore. I've owned probably 10 or more guitars in my life time just to see what's out there and can I find a new and exciting "voice". And there is the collector in me, but I don't want it to be haphazard. And "trading" might not be the word to use, because I could very easily see myself keeping the Jupiter. But if I do go with a new horn, I'd like to find a more open sound and faster valves. Does any of this make sense?
    Makes perfect sense. Exploration is part of the fun. It can be an expensive part of the fun, depending on what you buy and sell. I've never found myself drawn to a Chinese instrument with the thought that it's going to be a substantial expansion of my experiential horizons. I've usually bought Chinese because I needed something cheap that would do enough of the job that I could accept the trade-offs. I've moved through many pro-level horns over time (and some Chinese horns), though probably fewer than many of the senior members here. With the pro-level horns, I have enjoyed exploring the nuances of each, hemmed in though I am by my current talent limitations. With the Chinese instruments I've been aggravated, regardless of the relatively attractive prices, by flawed finishes, slide fitment woes, tuning problems, and the ongoing irritation of poorly threaded valve caps. Let me say it one more time... poorly threaded valve caps! You don't think that'll be as much of an irritation as it is until you experience it every time you oil your valves, particularly just before a performance!! There are workarounds, as have been widely shared in this forum, but the aggravation remains.
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

I highly recommend the JP 274S compensating (3+1) euphonium. Years back I owned a Besson Prestige and a Yamaha 642S (both pro-level horns). I don't feel at all deprived paying the JP274S in my community band and it sings the way I like a euphonium to sing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12