X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EyeInSky
    • May 2019

Originally posted by 58mark View Post
    Don't forget to try the Packer 274. Beautiful tone, great intonation, and it's about the same price as the wessex

Wessex is coming out with a new euphonium model that is very impressive, but I would choose the Packer over the dolce (and did)
    Hello Mark,

I'm so glad I read your post. We are also looking into our first purchase of a Euphonium for our son entering college.
    So far we have looked at the Wessex Dolce and the Eastman models. The next thing (very high on the list) to try is the JP274.
    Unfortunately, it's difficult to find a local store that has one in stock. Thanks to this site we did find a store near Glendale, CA that sells the upgraded JP374 model.
    Biggest difference between the two is the 374 has a trigger and is has the "Sterling" approved name.

We prefer to save the $1 grand and go with the 274, and are hoping the 374 will have a very comparable tone when we test it.
    The JP274 appears like it could be our favorite choice too. I'll report on our findings once we can demo the upgrade Packard.
    In the meantime, your post gives me good hope that we may have finally found our perfect match.
    Last edited by EyeInSky; 05-23-2019, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• enhite
      • May 2012

Once you experience the din of the exhibit hall, you'll appreciate the John Morgan's advice to arrange to audition favored instruments in a nearby practice room, outside (if the day is nice), or in your hotel room. And I also second his advice to bring both his medium shank as well as a large shank mouthpiece. (If you can't borrow one, you can buy one there.) Good luck!

Comment

• 58mark
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by EyeInSky View Post
        Hello Mark,

I'm so glad I read your post. We are also looking into our first purchase of a Euphonium for our son entering college.
        So far we have looked at the Wessex Dolce and the Eastman models. The next thing (very high on the list) to try is the JP274.
        Unfortunately, it's difficult to find a local store that has one in stock. Thanks to this site we did find a store near Glendale, CA that sells the upgraded JP374 model.
        Biggest difference between the two is the 374 has a trigger and is has the "Sterling" approved name.

We prefer to save the $1 grand and go with the 274, and are hoping the 374 will have a very comparable tone when we test it.
        The JP274 appears like it could be our favorite choice too. I'll report on our findings once we can demo the upgrade Packard.
        In the meantime, your post gives me good hope that we may have finally found our perfect match.

I like the tone and feel of the 274 more than the 374. they are different instruments, and it shows in the way they play

Before you buy, talk to Joe Sellmansburger at mid south music. http://www.citysearch.com/profile/94...uth_music.html

I know it's probably not close to you, but he'll beat any price out there. Another place to try is Baltimore brass.

Comment

• bassparrish
          • Jun 2019

I am a newbie here, and was given a Holton as a gift. I bought a mouthpiece on line but its shank is too large to fit the tuba. Does anyone have advice on where I can buy a mouthpiece that fits? Thank you in advance.

Comment

• MichaelSchott
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by bassparrish View Post
            I am a newbie here, and was given a Holton as a gift. I bought a mouthpiece on line but its shank is too large to fit the tuba. Does anyone have advice on where I can buy a mouthpiece that fits? Thank you in advance.
            Is it a euphonium or a tuba? Which Holton model?

Comment

• scubaeuph
              • May 2019

So what did you find out mom?

Comment

Working...
              X